This Week in CrossFit
Did the week get ahead of you and you’re looking to catch up on the top trending stories in CrossFit and the fitness industry? You’ve come to the right place. Each week we will wrap up the major news and stories people are talking about inside the box.
Things are slowly returning back to normal with COVID trends heading in the right direction causing in-person CrossFit events to ease restrictions, including the Games in Madison. Someone who won’t be on the competition floor in America’s Dairyland is Mat Fraser, but one iconic Icelander doesn’t think it will be long before he’s back. And from tiara to Metcons, the newly crowned Miss Universe is… a Crossfitter!
- On Tuesday, Madison, Wisconsin and Dane County announced all public health orders will be lifted by June 2. This includes mask requirements and capacity limitations meaning, The Games could look a lot like they did the last time athletes competed in Madison.
- Just last week, MACC announced they would still require masks and other safety measures but now, they’ve taken a 180. Face coverings, health screenings, and proof of a negative test or vaccination will no longer be required. Seating will still be spread out to maintain social distancing.
- Starting this summer, Battle Cancer fundraising events will be referred to as The Battle Cancer CrossFit Challenges after gaining official licensing. As a non-profit organization that raises money and awareness for cancer charities through functional fitness fundraising events, the partnership could benefit both the cancer community and the health and fitness community.
- Sad and empty is how Khan Porter describes feeling most of his life. Though he’s a six-time CrossFit Games athlete, he too struggles with mental health and has even contemplated suicide. Porter talks about how getting help has not only opened the door to recovery, but also a new potential career.
- School teacher Carolyne Prevost, and law enforcement FBI agent Shaylin Laure, are on their way to Semifinals. With demanding jobs of sometimes 50 plus-hour work weeks, they’ve proven that their careers haven’t stopped them from being at the top of their game and competing against the best.
- It’ll be the first time in eleven years that neither Mat nor Rich has competed in the men’s individual division of the CrossFit Games. We took a look at the data of the men’s field from 2007 to 2020 which indicates we could see the most competitive final men’s heat in the history of the Games.
- In a Q&A, Baron said, “I don’t buy it, I don’t think he’s done.” While he mentions there is no base for what he’s saying, Baron thinks after Fraser capitalizes on his upcoming movie and book, he’ll be back on the competition floor. Baron also touched on how Sara Sigmundsdottirs is doing with her ACL recovery. He said, she’s doing great and in good spirits.
Things you don’t want to miss:
- The newly-crowned 2021 Miss Universe, Andrea Meza, from Mexico, is a CrossFitter.
- Predictions from our expert group of CrossFit Games analysts on which young guns we’ll see on the big stage in Madison.
- Check out the roster for The 2020 USA Weightlifting Olympic team. It’s the largest team since 1996.
- NOBULL, the title sponsor of the CrossFit Games released a swimwear line that includes two performance fit swimsuits each for men and women, as well as swim caps.
- CrossFit’s Pair Up ThrowDOWN released the workout for this weekend’s virtual competition. Athletes in M/M, F/F and mixed pair teams will have until Monday, May 24 at 12:00 PM PT to submit scores.
- The Torian Pro Semifinal event, which will be held in Brisbane, Australia on May 28-30, has announced individual and team events on Instagram.
- The Granite Games Semifinal event, which will be held in Eagan, MN on June 4-6, will post one workout each day on Instagram. Tickets are available now.
- Spectator tickets for the West Coast Classic Semifinal event, which will be held in Las Vegas, NV on June 18-20, are available.
- MUST-READ: Kansas City star Patrick Mahomes’ WHOOP data for the 2020 NFL season is available, and it reveals how strain and recovery ebb and flow throughout each week leading up to and after game day.
- Born Primitive is hiring. Positions available include: Shipping and Receiving Specialist, Returns Department Specialist and Social Media Manager. Must be located in Virginia Beach, VA or willing to move.
- Morning Chalk Up’s limited release “Fueled by Coffee and Chalk” t-shirt is on sale now.