Fittest in Cape Town: Day Two Recap
It was “moving day” at the Fittest in Cape Town Semifinal inside Woodmill Lifestyle Market in Stellenbosch, South Africa on Saturday. However only one division took advantage as the men’s individual and teams division leaders from Day One built upon their leads on Day Two while the women’s leaderboard was shuffled as all three divisions fight for coveted 2021 NOBULL CrossFit Games Invitation.
The women’s division:
Michelle Basnett came into the Africa Semifinal as one of the favorites to win the lone Games invite from the competition but was in second after day one. On Saturday she turned a 16-point deficit behind Dina Swift into a 32-point lead over her fellow South African country woman at the end of the day.
- The 24-year old won her first event of the competition, taking “Double Trap Pt. 1” with a time of 7:03 on the strength of her ring muscle-up skills after taking second in the opening event of the day “Legless Karen”.
- Basnett returned for “Double Trap Pt. 2” and finished fourth, tying her worst finish of the competition thus far, but better than Swift who struggled during day two.
- Swift couldn’t replicate her perfect Day One and could only muster a 4th, 8th and 7th place respectively on Day Two putting her in a tough position to earn her second Games appearance.
- Mary Jamieson moved up from fourth to third, 70 points behind Basnett but in contention for one of the three spots for the Last Chance Qualifier.
- The 38-year old won “Double Trap Pt. 2” in 4:41, her first event win of the competition.
- 2019 Games athlete Michelle Merand is in fourth place thanks to an event win in “Legless Karen” followed by Reyneke Gilmari in fifth.
The men’s division:
Jason Smith continued to dominate the men’s field, extending his points lead to 52-points at the conclusion of Day Two. The two-time Games veteran picked up another event win, his third in five events, winning “Double Trap Pt. 1”. He added runner-up finishes in the other two events of the day.
- Ruan Duvenage remained in second place and appears to have one of the three Last Chance Qualifier spots locked up, holding a 78-point lead over the next closest competitor.
- Duvenage finished in the top-five in all three events on Saturday including his best finish of the competition in “Double Trap Pt. 1”, placing second behind Smith.
- AJ Visser moved into third place followed by 2019 Games athlete and Egyptian National Champion Mohamed Elomda in fourth.
- Kealan Henry won “Legless Karen” with a time of 9:27 and sits in sixth.
- Michael Van Tonder won “Double Trap Pt. 2” finishing ahead of Smith with a time of 4:46.
The team division:
Teams also got three events to prove their fitness and score points to move up the leaderboard. Day Two for FiCT opened up much like the first day with teams taking on another machine. However, they had to perform 50 ring muscle-ups followed by 50 synchronized dumbbell box step-overs.
- Continuing their streak this weekend, CrossFit Eikestad Mighty Oaks took first in this event, followed closely by their sister team, CrossFit Eikestad Golden Oaks who finished second, more than two minutes behind their fellow gym-mates.
- The second and third event of the day was the first event of the weekend that let the athletes get heavy. But unlike many of the strength events we’ve seen at other Semifinals, athletes could not move on in the clean ladder until the required number of double unders was performed at each barbell.
- While the usual suspects finished in first place (CrossFit Eikestad Mighty Oaks) in this event, Cape CrossFit Wolfpack, who currently sits in 8th overall, managed to pull in a 2nd place upset on the men’s side.
- Moving day proved successful for frontrunner CrossFit Eikestad Mighty Oaks, who gained three more first place finishes, placing them a solid 45 points ahead of fellow gym-mates, CrossFit Eikestad Golden Oaks.
- CrossFit Tijger Valley dropped to third place, but is only currently ten points behind Eikestad Golden Oaks, as the battle for second place continues.
- Day Three will bring two more events and if Eikestad Mighty Oaks continues their winning streak through the final day, they’ll be the first team at any Semifinal to win every event of the weekend.
On tap for the final day: Sunday’s action starts at 2:30am EST as both the teams and individual divisions each set to take on two events.
- Follow all the action through the Morning Chalk Up’s FiCT Semifinal page.
- The Semifinal will be live-streamed on the event Facebook page.
The Top Overall Top 10 After Day 2
- Michelle Basnett (468) | Jason Smith (492) | Eikestad Mighty Oaks (500)
- Dina Swift (436) | Ruan Duvenage (440) | Eikestad Golden Oaks (455)
- Mary Jamieson (398) | AJ Visser (362) | CrossFit Tijger Valley (445)
- Michelle Merand (396) | Mohamed Elomda (360) | Kyma Kaos (360)
- Reyneke Gilmari (383) | Schalk Burger (345) | CrossFit Resuelto (350)
- Tanha Bouffe (350) | Kealan Henry (344) | Howling Commandos (350)
- Brady Finkel (348) | Ruan Potgieter (323) | FireBolt Dragons (345)
- Anneke Spies (282) | Brandon Jacobs (296) | Cape CrossFit Wolfpack (330)
- Ingy Hossam Eldin (279) | Michael van Tonder (280) | CrossFit Engine38 (310)
- Reegan Finkel (272) | Matthew Peter Garth Smith (277) | CrossFit Damascus (295)