The Atlas Games Day One Recap
First glance of the day one of the Atlas Games leaderboard offers some familiar names but it’s the new names that dominate over the favorites as the virtual competition threw out there first two workouts at the field on Friday. The top-five finishers in each of the three divisions will receive invitations to compete at the 2021 NOBULL CrossFit Games.
The women’s division:
Canadian women hold three of the top-four leaderboard positions with Games veteran Carolyn Prevost dominating with a perfect performance, winning both events.
- Prevost won Workout 1, “Friendly Fran”, by :20 seconds with a time of 4:07. That time is the third fastest time recorded in the CrossFit online Semifinals.
- She followed that with a winning time of 12:07 in Workout 2 to complete her perfect Friday.
- 18-year old Anikha Greer started her day with a second-place in “Friendly Fran”, finishing with a time of 4:27 and ended the day with an 11th place in Workout 2 to place her second on the overall leaderboard.
- In third place is Alexis Johnson who appears to be fully recovered from her achilles tear. She is tied points-wise with Greer but the teenager holds the tie-breaker.
- Emily Rolfe sits in fourth place overall with a sixth and ninth place respectively in the day’s workouts.
- Currently holding onto the fifth and final Games invitation spot is Mekenzie Riley. The new mom placed fourth in Workout 1 and finished the day with a 12th in Workout 2.
- Tied in points with Riley is Baylee Rayl, who put together back-to-back eighth place finishes.
- Canadians Sydney Michalyshen and Freya Moosbrugger occupy the final two Last Chance Qualifier spots followed closely behind by American McKenzie Flinchum.
- Canadian teenager Emma Lawson placed second in Workout 2 but sits in 13th place on the leaderboard.
The men’s division:
Just like in the women’s leaderboard, Canadians dominate the top of the leaderboard but the top spot is currently deadlocked between Patrick Vellner and American Dane Smith who each have 176 points and workout wins on Day 1.
- Smith, the youngest brother of Ben and Alec Smith, put in one of the top-times in the world in “Friendly Fran”, winning the workout with a time of 3:47.
- He followed that performance up with a seventh place in Workout 2.
- Vellner swapped finishing spots with Smith in the two workouts, placing seventh in “Friendly Fran” and winning Workout 2 with a time of 11:53.
- Phil Toon is just four points out of the top spot in third place. He had a third and sixth on Day 1.
- The next five spots are occupied by Canadians with Samuel Cournoyer and Adam Davidson currently in the final two Games spots.
- Cournoyer’s best finish on the day was third in Workout 2, finishing in 12:32.
- Davidson’s best finish was in Workout 2 as well, finishing fifth, just two second behind his fellow countryman.
- Jeffrey Adler, Alex Vigneault and Alexandre Caron are in sixth through eighth with American Tyler Christophel closely behind as all are fighting not only for a Games berth but a LCQ spot.
- Christophel placed second in Workout 2 with a time of 12:30.
The team division: The top three spots on the team leaderboard are no surprise as PRO1 Montreal, CrossFit Resurrection and 1855 occupy the podium spots currently.
- PRO1 Montreal swept the top spots in both workouts on Day 1, winning Team Workout 1 with a world-record time of 6:39.
- In Team Workout 2, the team from Canada recorded the second-best time of the virtual semifinals, finishing in 19:43 to take the win and closing out a perfect day.
- CrossFit Resurrection is just 10 points behind PRO1 Montreal due to consecutive runner-up finishes.
- 1855 recorded two third place finishes and sits just 20 points behind the leaders.
- Rhapsody and C2X CrossFit round out the top-five spots and current Games qualifiers.
On tap for day 2: Two more events are on the docket for Day 2 including a descending triplet of muscle-ups, front-rack lunges and double-unders in Workout 3 and a 10-minute workout that features ascending snatches in Workout 4.
- Follow all the action through the Morning Chalk Up’s Atlas Games Semifinal page.
The Top Overall Top 10 After Day 1
- Patrick Vellner (176) | Carolyne Prevost (200) | Pro1 Montreal (200)
- Dane Smith (176) | Anikha Greer (156) | CrossFit Resurrection (190)
- Phil Toon (172) | Alexis Johnson (156) | 1855 (180)
- Samuel Cournoyer (160) | Emily Rolfe (148) | Rhapsody (160)
- Adam Davidson (160) | Mekenzie Riley (144) | C2X CrossFit (155)
- Jeffrey Adler (152) | Baylee Rayl (144) | Team Koda (145)
- Alex Vigneault (141) | Sydney Michalyshen (140) | Koda CrossFit Iron View (130)
- Alexandre Caron (136) | Freya Moosbrugger (140) | Fit to Prove STADD (115)
- Tyler Cristophel (133) | McKenzie Flinchum (140) | CrossFit 808 (105)
- Griffin Roelle (126) | Kaitlyn Anapolsky (130) | Novative Lab (100)
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields