This Week in CrossFit
If you thought the weeks leading up to the CrossFit Games would be slow, you my friend were mistaken…you and us both. It was a non-stop week of leaderboard shake-ups due to a handful of positive drug tests, and Dave Castro teasing a couple of more Games Events. Let’s dive right in…
Three teams failed drug tests, new teams are being called up to compete at the Games:
We won’t get into the nitty-gritty details here, as each situation is very different. But here is who’s invites have been revoked and which teams will now head to Madison:
- 12 Labours Lions will replace Ocean State’s Finest.
- Timberwolf CrossFit will replace Move Fast Lift Heavy.
- Team Man Made will replace Invictus Unconquerable.
CrossFit Games Individual Events 3 and 5 announced:
- IE3: 550-yard sprint
- IE5: 4 rounds for time
- 4 rope climbs
- 500/400 meter ski erg
- Sand bag carry
- We clearly don’t have all the details just yet, but some nice teasers to mull over for the next week and a half.
- 75% say revenue and membership have fallen since before the pandemic.
- 64% say they’ve been forced to go into additional debt.
- Average new debt: A staggering $75,000.
- The Community Gyms Coalition is still pressing congressional leadership for more financial help in hopes to save the fitness industry.
Here are just a few, but seriously…there’s a lot of interesting facts!
- The shortest woman is Lari Cunha at 5’0.”
- The average recorded weight of these women is 146 pounds.
- Of the forty men, there are 10 rookies and 30 veterans.
- Of those 30 vets, five are in their second year.
- 213 in total with 106 women and 107 men.
- Once the season is complete, 281 athletes will be recognized as National Champions.
Things you don’t want to miss:
- Virtual Games Event 1 is…according to Rich Froning a 5k row. You can still sign up to get involved.
- Sneak peek at the Nano X1 Froning. The four-time CrossFit Champion Rich Froning debuted his version of the Nano X1’s while working out. The shoe is a new iteration of Reebok’s “Official Shoe of Fitness,” the Nano X1. The latest collaboration pays tribute to the “Into the Storm” mantra, Froning’s daily inspiration, and the shoe even has a storm-inspired graphic design. It will be available on Froning’s birthday, July 21. How FIT-ting.
- New product from Podium: Mat Fraser and the Buttery Bro’s supplement company just launched their second product, Whey with multiple flavors.
- Attention Ladies! The Female Tactical Athlete Program is looking for women who want to put their CrossFit skills to work, literally. If you have dreams of being a firefighter, police officer, or in the military, you can sign up now for the program that kicks off tomorrow.