“The Last Dance.” Kristin Holte Announces Retirement
As the hype from the CrossFit Games settles and athletes take to social media to reflect on their experience, 4th place Fittest Woman on Earth, Kristin Holte, announced she is stepping away from competing and retiring.
Her career by the numbers: Holte, a veteran Games athlete, making her 8th appearance this year, fought all week landing just 35 points behind third place finisher, Annie Thorisdottir. Holte and Thorisdottir were actually tied for third going into the final event.
- She averaged a 9th place overall finish at the Games over eight straight seasons.
- Since 2017, she’s finished in the top 10 every year, averaging a 5th place overall finish, making her one of the most consistent female athletes of all time.
- Holte won 8 individual CrossFit Games events over her career, the 8th most of any female athlete.
- To qualify for her first CrossFit Games, she famously unseated the current fittest woman on earth Samantha Briggs to take the third and final spot at the 2014 Europe Regional.
In her own words: “I am proud. I am grateful. I am happy but also heartbroken,” Holte said in her post on Instagram. With a mix of emotions, Holte takes a moment to remember how far she’s developed in this sport.
- “I have become a well-rounded athlete who can run fast but also lift heavy weights and I finally feel like I am coming close to reaching my potential as an athlete…Do I wish I could be number 1? Yes, of course. But in the end, the thing that matters the most to me is my effort. I always put out my absolute best effort and with that comes full victory.”