Ricky Garard: “Yes I did” Knowingly Taking PEDs
In a bombshell admission more than four years after testing positive for testolone and endurobol, Ricky Garard admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs at the CrossFit Games and Regionals. The admission comes a little more than two months before he’ll make his debut return at the Dubai CrossFit Championship.
What was asked and said: “Specifically to the 2017 CrossFit Games testing positive, did you knowingly take those PEDs for the CrossFit Games?” Asked Chase Ingraham.
- Garard: Yes.
- Ingraham: Did you take them at the 2017 Regionals to qualify for the CrossFit Games?
- Garard: Yes I did.
- Ingraham: Have you taken them since you tested positive October 3, 2017 when your ban started?
- Garard: Definitely not.
For what it’s worth: Garard has, in fact, been tested at least once over the past four years. CrossFit announced in March, that he was tested and his results came back negative. However, no other testing information has been released.
Don’t let this get lost in the headline: Garard will be working with Justin Cotler, head coach of Underdogs Athletics, who also coaches Kari Pearce, Bethany Shadburne and Danielle Brandon.
- Cotler did not say whether it would be as a coach or mentor, however.
- “I said to myself, how can I not help this kid. How can I not help him change his life and get on the path to redemption.”
- “He knows there is no room for error. There is only one way. The right way. And I know I can help him do it. And I’m excited to be a part of helping Ricky rewrite his story.”