BREAKING: CrossFit to Announce Details on 2023 Games Location
CrossFit HQ announced they’ll be making a major announcement regarding the location of the 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Games during a press conference Thursday morning.
The lay of the land: The RFP, which was opened last spring, seeks to find a new host for the Games for the next three to five years (2023-2027).
- CrossFit has declined to provide any details regarding cities that have submitted bids, nor cities currently under negotiation.
- Morning Chalk Up staff has been able to confirm that the following cities have submitted bids, including one that has received a site visit from CrossFit: Dallas, Austin, Denver and Madison (current city).
One big thing: According to the RFP, Madison will remain the host city “through 2022 at a minimum”, leaving some ambiguity as to whether they may opt to remain in Wisconsin for a sixth and final year.
- The original contract with Madison, which started in 2017, was extended an additional two years through 2021.
- Madison will play host to the 2022 Games, which represents a one-year extension to the current contract though no public announcement was ever made.
- Back in early 2020, the City of Madison passed a procedural hurdle that would make extending through 2023 easier. The Madison Common Council passed a resolution authorizing CrossFit the use of the Olin Park Boat Launch for the years 2020-2023.
- The permit states explicitly that “WHEREAS, User (CrossFit Inc.) has indicated that it will continue to hold the Event (CrossFit Games) in Madison from 2020-2023,” and grants the CrossFit Games use of the boat park through 2023.
It’s important to note that Jamie Patrick, VP of conventions, sales, sports and services at the Madison Area Sports Commission when asked back in 2020, he clarified through a spokesperson that there have been general talks about an extension, but nothing specific, and the inclusion of 2022-2023 in the permit was more of a precaution.
- Everything Is Bigger In Texas: Sports Commission Representative Says Dallas Has Potential to Grow CrossFit if Approved As Games Host City
- Yeehaw! Castro, CrossFit Visit Dallas as Potential Games Location
- Austin, Madison, Denver in Contention to Host CrossFit Games in 2023
- On the Road Again: CrossFit Accepting Bids for New Games Host Site