BREAKING: Dave Castro Returns to CrossFit
6/9 Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include a statement from CrossFit’s new head Alison Andreozzi.
Dave Castro is returning to CrossFit HQ five months after being fired from his position as General Manager of Sport, the Morning Chalk Up has confirmed through two sources who attended an affiliate gathering with Castro on Monday with approximately two dozen attendees, many of whom are affiliate owners.
The news comes after several weeks of speculation surrounding Castro’s potential return that was first made public by The Sevan Podcast on May 24.
One big thing: Castro will be returning to work directly with affiliates, described one attendee who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity.
- “Dave Castro is coming back and that is a very good thing for Diablo and all of CrossFit,” wrote Craig Howard, the owner of Diablo CrossFit and host of the gathering, in a blog post.
- “He knows that the affiliates are the life blood of CrossFit -we change lives, we cure chronic disease, we create fans of CrossFit and the CF Games, and we send our members to CF Certifications.”
- “Dave will do everything he can to make sure that CrossFit promotes and defends the brand and provides and environment for affiliates to thrive. He is the leader we need and I’m pumped to know that he is back on our team!”
UPDATE: CrossFit originally declined to comment for this story but has since released the following statement:
- “Dave Castro will be returning to CrossFit as a key advisor focused on our affiliates and coaches, and exploring new areas for innovation across the business. Dave’s deep passion and commitment to CrossFit and to what makes us unique will be key to our future growth and momentum. We’re excited for his return and for the collaboration going forward.”
The big picture: CrossFit HQ came under harsh criticism on social media immediately after firing Castro just seven weeks before the start of the 2022 CrossFit Open, including more than a dozen current and former CrossFit Games athletes.
- After multiple PR blunders over the past few months, there has been a growing drumbeat of calls for his return to fix issues specifically related to the CrossFit Games season, its scoring and judging inconsistencies.