CrossFit Mayhem Continues Winning Ways in Italy
In one of the first major competitions of the offseason, Rich Froning and his CrossFit Mayhem faction continued their winning ways. The ten-time CrossFit Games champion was joined by fellow Games athletes Tyler Christophel, Baylee Rayl and Paige Powers in winning the CrossFit-licensed “WOD War 4Mori” team competition this past weeked on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, Italy.
- Less than a month after winning his record tenth Games title and sixth Affiliate Cup, Froning and his team won four of the nine scored events over the three-day competition for a 633 point victory using the “Range-system” scoring popular amongst Italian CrossFit competitions.
- Mayhem placed no worse than third in any of the events.
- This new iteration of the Mayhem team worked well with each other. Rayl and Christophel have plenty of experience on a team. They started their careers as members of the CrossFit 417 team that qualified for the Games in 2017 and 2018.
- Mamma Mia, a team made up of Invictus athletes Brittany Weiss and Jorge Fernandez as well as Michelle Basnett and Jake Marconi finished second to Mayhem. Weiss and Fernandez were a part of the Invictus team that finished third at this year’s Games.
- Mamma Mia also collected four event wins during the weekend.
- The max clean-and-jerk event was the highlight of day two as Mayhem and Mamma Mia tied with a total of 1113 pounds (505kg) lifted. Fernandez put on a show with a lift of 363 pounds (165kg).
- Fernandez and Weiss each participated in the Rogue Qualifier prior to traveling to Italy. Fernandez currently sits in second and Weiss sits in seventh. An invitation to Rogue for either one of those athletes would be a huge step in their individual competitive career for two athletes who have been competing on the Invictus team for a number of years.
- The Spanish team TRAINLIKEFIGHT finished third, coming from behind on day three to overtake Italian team ONAIR. TRAINLIKEFIGHT, led by Games athlete David Mata, took third despite not winning an event. On the final day of competition they recorded a third place and two runner-up finishes.
- Froning continues to be the leading ambassador for the CrossFit brand, he along with his team of athletes and support staff spent time meeting with the community and conducting classes. Froning hasn’t officially announced what he plans on doing in terms of continuing to compete in the CrossFit season but international events like “WOD War 4Mori” could be more of a regular occurrence for one of the greatest and most well-known athletes in the sport.