10 Questions the CrossFit Games Rulebook Should Answer Mid-November
With the newly announced change in structure for the 2023 CrossFit Games season, there are still many questions left unanswered and details that need to be fleshed out. CrossFit said that the entire rulebook will be released next month in an Instagram post and a spokesperson also reiterated the estimated release date.
One big thing: This is the earliest athletes and stakeholders will have received the rulebook, which is part of a more concerted effort by CrossFit to announce changes and updates further in advance to give everyone time to plan for the season ahead.
CrossFit has made steady improvements over the years to get the rulebook out earlier.
- 2023 Season: Estimated November 2022 – A minimum of 78 days if released by November 30.
- 2022 Season: Released on December 28, 2021 – 58 days before the start of the Open
- 2021 Season: January 7, 2021 – 63 days before the start of the Open
- 2020 Season: August 28, 2019 – 44 days before the start of the Open*
- In 2020, the Open took place in October
- 2019 Season: January 7, 2019 – 26 days after the start of the season
A few important unanswered questions:
- How will CrossFit determine the Semifinal ranking system used to award two additional Games spots?
- Will each Semifinal send the same number of male and female athletes or could these differ? For example, if Australia’s female world ranking is higher than their males (sorry fellas), then do the females receive four or five spots and the males receive three?
- Will world ranking impact the lane assignments for workout 1 at Semifinals? Or will it be based on an athlete’s Quarterfinal finish?
- When will the final two “strength of field” Games spots be decided and announced?
- If North American and the European Semifinals qualify 10 athletes to the CrossFit Games, will the final event heat include only the top 10 athletes or a larger field given that athletes from earlier heats could reasonably qualify?
- What are the payouts for all stages of competition?
- Where will the seven Semifinal events be held?
- Will Semifinal athletes be allowed to compete in both age group and individual/team divisions like in 2021?
- What criteria will be used to determine which athletes can compete in the Region they are long-term residents of (ie: Roman Khrennikov vs Tia-Clair Toomey)?
- For teams when will the cut-off date for residency be? Has it changed?