Five Outdoor Activities to Do While at the 2022 Rogue Invitational
In our fifth and final installment of this series, following where to eat, drink, caffeinate and workout while at the 2022 Rogue Invitational, we bring you: things to do outside.
“Austin has always been a community that enjoys fitness and being outdoors. In fact, we were recently named as one of the most physically-active cities in America,” said Drew Hays, Austin Sports Commission Director. “When you combine that with the sports momentum our city has, it only makes sense to host the fittest athletes in the world here in the form of the Rogue Fitness Invitational.”
The competition schedule indicates that there will be some down time in the morning and evening, and to maximize your trip to the greater Austin area, we encourage you to indulge in nature, stay active and embrace community by diving into an activity outdoors. There’s dozens of activities to choose from, but this list should give you a good starting point.
1. Jump in Barton Springs
2201 William Barton Dr, Austin, TX 78746
Taking cold plunge to a whole new level, Barton Springs is a natural spring in the heart of Austin with plenty of room to relax, catch some sun or go for a refreshing swim.
“I love being at Barton Springs because you feel like you’re out in nature in the middle of nowhere, when in reality you’re in the middle of a city. They are strict about no alcohol, no smoking and no loud music, which I personally love because it keeps the vibe super relaxed. It’s the perfect place to read a book or have a conversation with friends,” Katie Gray Mart, Austin local and Barton Springs regular, said. “It’s magical…I don’t know how else to explain it. I just feel so happy and relaxed when I’m there. It can be unbearably hot in Texas and diving into the ice cold fresh spring water is so refreshing. It heals the soul and your muscles.”
Entry is $5 for Texas residents and $9 for non-residents, and they accept credit/debit or exact change.
2. Bike, Scooter or Hike
Alternative transportation is both good for the environment and sightseeing! There’s an abundance of bike and scooter rental hubs across town. Or, to get your steps in, take a hike near famous Lady Bird Lake or Barton Creek. AllTrails, both a website and downloadable mobile app, helps you pick a trail from a wide database based on length and difficulty.
3. Practice Your Pickleball Skills
If you haven’t participated in the craze yet, you’re missing out! Pickleball is super-sized ping pong or miniature tennis — however you want to think about it. With a few friends, paddles and a 36-inch high net, it’s easily one of the most fun ways to exercise without realizing it. There’s numerous spots to play in the city but one of our favorites is Bouldin Acres (2027 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704), where you can reserve a court ahead of time, or play giant Jenga outside while you’re waiting for your turn to throw down.
4. Play Sand Volleyball
One of the best things about sand volleyball is how adaptable it is; you can adjust the game based on how many people want to hop in, serve underhand or overhand, run a formation or just have a great time. The weather is expected to be beautiful this time of year, and Old Settlers park (3300 E Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock, TX 78665) is just a half-mile from Dell Diamond (lunch break pick-up game anyone?). They have two courts available, plus a playground, picnic tables, a disc golf course and soccer fields.
5. Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP)
SUP is the perfect combination of a calm activity with a little bit of work, and when you get too hot, you can just jump in! SUPATX Rentals (1541 West Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX 78703) is open all daylight hours with no reservation necessary, so lather up the sunscreen and hit the water.
- Take a class with The Phoenix: A sober active community with a strong presence in Austin, sign-up for one of their local meet-ups which often involve rock climbing, tie-dying, yoga in the park or disc golf. The classes are free, and you must be 48-hours sober to attend.
- Dance to some live music: No better place to enjoy some local live jams than the mecca itself! Walk down 6th Street and you’ll find no shortage of options, and we love Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Icehouse (701 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701).
- Get Your Laugh On: Okay, this one isn’t outside, but it’s a gem so we had to mention! Vulcan Gas Company (418 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78701) has several shows throughout the weekend, and Don’t Tell Comedy (location TBD) is a pop-up stand-up comedy show that reveals the location via email the day of to those who have signed up, and the acts remain a surprise. Either way, big belly laughs are a form of fitness in our book!
Enjoy your trip, and we can’t wait to see you there!
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields