Recipe of the Month with Sammy Moniz: Christmas Morning Hawaiian Roll Cinnamon Buns
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories Don’t Count On Christmas : Serves 12, 307 Cals/ 14g F / 40g C / 6g P
I don’t know about you but cinnamon rolls were a Christmas morning tradition. I grew up with the classic cinnamon rolls in the pop cardboard tube with the icing in a plastic cup. As a kid, I definitely didn’t care if these were homemade, from scratch or from the package. All I knew was that on Christmas morning, I was getting something sweet for breakfast.
I’ve got a Black Walnut Cinnamon Roll recipe that’ll knock your christmas socks off and if you’re looking for something to do with your kids or the family, give it a whirl. But if you’re anything like me, when the holidays roll around I want to maximize my time with my people and limit my time in the kitchen. That’s why I’m sharing a tasty recipe that’ll hit all the high (and sweet!) notes but also get you in and out of the kitchen quicker.
This Hawaiian Roll Cinnamon Bun recipe is like french toast meets classic cinnamon roll. Few ingredients, mostly butter and sugar, and about as simple as it comes. No stand mixers or kneading dough. No high-skills required and maximum flavor achieved.
Perfect in size, filled with a cinnamon sugar and butter dollop and topped with a classic cream cheese frosting, these Hawaiian Roll Cinnamon Buns will bring all the holiday cheer. I love how simple they are to make and how perfectly bite-sized they are. Baking these on a cozy winter morning while everyone stays in their PJs just a little longer that day is a whole vibe and a holiday tradition I’m excited to share with all of you this holiday season.
Hawaiian Roll Cinnamon Buns
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 package King’s Hawaiian Rolls
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Separate each roll and cut an X into the top. Dip each roll into the egg mixture to cover the entire roll. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon to create a paste. Either using a ziplock/pipping bag or a spoon and your hands (it got a little messy but got the job done!) scoop 1-2 tsp of the butter into each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 15-18 minutes until golden.
- While the rolls bake, make the cream cheese frosting by mixing the soft cream cheese with powdered sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until smooth.
- When the rolls have finished baking, allow to cool for 2 minutes then top with the cream cheese frosting and enjoy!