The Complete Guide to Working Out at 2023 TYR Wodapalooza in Miami, FL
Next week, CrossFit fanatics from around the world once again descend on Bayfront Park for a one-of-a-kind festival celebrating community, fitness and life. Whether you’re making the trip to volunteer or cheer your heart out, we’ve got everything you need to know about where to get a workout in during your time at the 2023 TYR Wodapalooza.
Please note that time stamps are in Miami, FL local time (EST).
Downtown Strength and Conditioning
15 SE 2nd Ave Miami, FL 33131
The premier gym closest to the venue is Downtown Strength and Conditioning, where the good vibes stay high all weekend long. All drop-ins come with a t-shirt (new designs this year!) and are valid for the full day. There’s a ton of events going on, and you can register via PushPress or their website for any of the following:
- Monday, 5:15 and 6:15PM: NOBULL takeover and workout
- Tuesday, 4:15, 5:15, 6:15, 7:15PM: A night with NOCCO featuring LSKD, Chestee & MFLH (open to friends and drop-ins!)
- Wednesday, 3-5PM: Innov-8 takeover
- Wednesday, 5:15 and 6:15PM: MFLH x Chestee takeover and workout
- Thursday, 7:30AM: MFLH x Chestee takeover and workout
- Thursday, 12-1PM: Battle Cancer class takeover
- Thursday, 5:15 and 6:15PM: WIT London x Miami workout and takeover
- Friday, 12-1PM: Battle Cancer class takeover
- Saturday, 7-10PM: Kettlebells and Cocktails Happy Hour, presented by 2POOD (space is limited!)
- Saturday, 12-1PM: Battle Cancer class takeover
- Sunday, 8PM: Teen After Bash, presented by Pit Fitness Ranch ($30, includes t-shirt and food)
Special events are expected to sell out, so text your friends and book early!
On-Site, Bayfront Park
301 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132
Possibly most notable on-site is the annual throwdown for those not competing; try your hand at competing under the Miami lights by registering for the Gauntlet! Individuals (Scaled, Intermediate, RX divisions) will compete Thursday through Saturday, and you can sign-up here. Registration includes a WZA athlete jersey and sunglasses from TYR! Plus, all the workouts are already released if you want a preview of what you’re getting yourself into.
Additionally, there’s an abundance of Spectator Experiences to get in on; all of which you can register for here (Sign-ups open on Monday, Jan 9, 2023 at 9AM ET and spots will reach capacity). To name a few:
- Thursday, 6:30AM: TYR Swim Clinic With US Olympian, featuring Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Andrew and TYR WZA athlete Noah Ohlsen
- Friday, 11AM: TYR x Squat U Lifting Clinic with Dr. Aaron Horschig from Squat University, Hampton Morris, And Martins Licis
- Sunday, 7AM: 30 minutes GOWOD mobility class led by Justin Medeiros, Ellie Turner and Streat Hoerner. Afterward, the athletes will hangout for a meet-and-greet before the competition kicks off at 8AM. And, word on the street is Mat Fraser may join as well.
- Workout for a Cause, Powered by PUMA (Thursday through Sunday): At north Flaggler, PUMA will be running workouts featuring guests such as Chandler Smith, Annie Lowe, Barbells for Boobs, and The Out Foundation. Each day, PUMA will donate $100 per person who completes the workout up to $10,000 daily for the duration of the competition.
Don’t forget: There’s community workouts every hour (8AM-5PM) on the Community Workout Stage!
301 Northwest 28th Street Miami, FL 33127
Located about 10 minutes from the venue, NOBULL will be hosting a variety of events Wednesday-Monday, all of which are free to support the community. NOBULL athletes will be dropping by to hangout and coach as well, like HWPO Sweat on Wednesday, Power Abs with Kari Pearce on Thursday, and a Pliability recovery session with Alec Smith on Friday. You can see the full list of classes here. Sign-up early — they will book up!
CrossFit Yellow Falcon Miami
1930 N Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33136
No reservation required, showers available, class times all day and an abundance of open gym space where you can do your own program if you’d like — stopping by CrossFit Yellow Falcon couldn’t be easier. And, NOCCO will be giving away free product all week long!
Visit their website for drop-in rates and class times, or swing by for one of their events throughout the weekend:
- Tuesday: NOBULL takeover
- Wednesday: Underdogs and LSKD takeover
- 7AM: PRVN Affiliate Community Workout (limited spots available)
- O2 takeover, and the gym will pay the drop-in fee for 50 people
- Saturday, 8AM-9:15AM: CompTrain Mini-Camp, register here*
- Sunday, 8AM-9:15AM: CompTrain Mini-Camp, register here*
*Athletes can come to one or both days, but you must sign-up separately. This mini-camp is dedicated to fitness, competition, strategy and mindset.
1310 NE 1st Ave, Miami, FL 33132
Located just over 1-mile from the action, this 20,000 sq/ft facility has enough room to run classes of more than 30-people, while having plenty of room for open gym activities.
- Mayhem Athlete will be hosting workouts Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7AM and 12PM.
56 NE 29th St, Miami, FL 33137
Located just 2.5 miles from Bayfront Park, CrossFit Wynwood is making it super easy to get your fitness in during the trip. No reservation ahead of time needed; you can purchase a pass in advance here, otherwise just pay the drop-in upon arrival. Open gym and class options run all day from 6AM-8PM.
- Friday (1/13) Noah Ohlsen will be dropping by to unveil his new line with Gym Shark
Move. Lift. Live.
19 SW 6th St, Miami, FL 33130
Located in the heart of Brickell with an in-house PT and LMT (open for advanced bookings), Move. Lift. Live, an exclusive TYR partner, will have classes available from 5AM to 9PM throughout the week. They also have extended Open Gym hours (M-F from 9AM-5PM) and Saturday classes (7AM, 8AM, 9AM, 10AM). Drop-in rates are listed on their site, and there’s even a discount for groups and WZA competitors.
“The energy WZA brings to South Florida is unmatched! Blocks away from the festival, this time of year brings inspiration, new friends, badass athletes and giddy spectators through our doors. It’s always an incredible reminder of just how powerful and connected this community is,” owner Troy Valls said. “While we start as strangers, within short time, we feel like we’ve known the folks we get to meet for a lifetime. Welcome to your home away from home, fam!”
Stop by for a special event at the gym:
- Wednesday, 6PM and 7PM: Battle Cancer takeover
- Saturday, 10AM: Run Club, powered by PUMA in partnership with Barbells for Boobs, with local run guru Alex Carrandi
Live Free CrossFit
8033 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33138
Swing on by 15 minutes before class to drop-in: $25 for the day or $100 for the week. There is focused barbell work Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and boxing and BJJ classes Thursday from 5:30-7:30PM. Mention this article in Morning Chalk Up for 20% off your drop-in fee!
6802 SW 81st St, Miami, FL 33143
Home to fan-favorite Games athlete Noah Olsen, Peak360 is one of the furthest from the action (about a 25-minute drive), but worth the trek if you have the time. Register online for a class, just $25/day or $65/week.
- Thursday (1/12), 4-6:30PM: Workout with Chandler Smith Powered by PUMA! Free event, registration required. PUMA will donate $100 per person to Smith’s charity of choice, up to $10,000.
Laura Gonzalez, who’s competed at TYR Wodapalooza since 2015, trains at Peak 360 regularly and can’t recommend it enough.
“Peak has become my home. The environment, community and vibes there are like no other and I love that we are always striving to make everything even better,” she said. “During WZA, it’s really cool to see the gym full of people from all over the world. The programming is very challenging but really it just makes you do things you didn’t think were possible.”
Plus, Gonzales said “if you’re a dog lover (I may be a little biased), hang around and you might get to see the best pups.”
Hybrid Performance Method
576 NW 27th St, Miami, FL 33127
Hyrbid offers 24-hour gym access, as long as you book it in advance. Otherwise, you can stop by anytime between 9AM-4:30PM (appointment not required, but preferred to fill out the waiver ahead of time). Seven-day passes are only $60, and you can book your drop-in here. The facility is stocked with extra powerlifting belts, weightlifting belts, wrist wraps, knee wraps, knee sleeves and knee wraps.
They’re also running a great promotion: 50% off a 24-hour day pass if you register an appointment before the 12th. Unlimited visits within the 24-hour window, and must be 18 or older — click here to redeem. And, note that every Saturday from 1PM-4PM is a free community workout!
Reebok CrossFit Miami Beach
930 Alton Rd, Miami Beach, FL 33139
What’s a CrossFitter without cool, exclusive gear? Swing by Reebok CrossFit Miami Beach for an exclusive “Welcome to Miami” shirt they’ve released to celebrate the annual event.
With class times available day long, visit their website to reserve your spot (space is limited) and sign the waiver. You can also purchase multiple classes under the “Pricing” tab, and downloading Wodify (if you don’t have it already) will make this process even smoother. Class reservations open 24 hours prior.
Team Soul Miami
8354 SW 40th St, Miami, FL 33155
Similarly to Peak360, Team Soul Miami is more in-land and about a 25-minute drive from the TYR Wodapalooza action, but a great option nonetheless. Early morning and late evening open gym options, in addition to their regular classes throughout the day, makes it a great place to stop before or after exploring Miami. Grab their schedule and drop-in information here!
Save this guide and send it to a friend, and get ready to get your fitness on under the Miami sun. See you there!
Writer’s Note: Did we miss something? Let us know!