2023 TYR Wodapalooza Injuries and Withdrawals List
The 2023 TYR Wodapalooza is over and the event was a huge success. However, we are only one month out from the 2023 Games season and athletes are playing it conservative (as they should). The Morning Chalk Up has compiled a list of withdrawals and reported injuries given we are less than a month away from the new season.
Remind me: TYR Wodapalooza was just a month out from the 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Open, so this may impede a few athletes’ ability to kick off the season on a good note.
- Alec Smith and The Smith Bros team withdrew from the competition after three events citing a hip issue with Alec. They did start the weekend looking strong with a second place finish in Event 1.
- Sam Cournoyer, a member of Team CrossFit Mayhem injured his bicep in the first event of the weekend. He shared an update on his Instagram that he has a grade 1 brachialis tear and is beginning rehab exercises. The team pulled out altogether and didn’t compete over the weekend.
- Emily Rolfe had to withdraw from the team portion of the competition after a calf tear during the individual swim event. She finished out the individual events and ended up in ninth place overall. Rolfe was replaced by Victoria Campos on Team Spacers Angels, with Sara Sigmundsdottir and Katelin Van Zyl.
- Danielle Brandon and Taylor Williamson both withdrew from Team P10 Performance before the event started, leaving the remaining teammate, Andrew Nisler, with replacements Sydney Michalyshen and Tori Dyson.
- Chiara Silva, a teen athlete hurt her hip while warming up, but finished the competition in seventh place.
- Scott Panchik and Saxon Panchik both withdrew before the competition started, which meant that “Team Panchik” consisted of Spencer Panchik, Jacob Heppner and Tudor Magda.
- Lukas Grouleff did not finish the second event and then withdrew from the men’s division.
- Hanna Karlsson, Nicole Burke and Gracie Strachan all withdrew mid-competition from the women’s division.
- Team Nocco Finland withdrew from the women’s team competition after the fifth event. (the team included Laura Isopoussu, Mirka Henriksson and Stefanie Hagelstam)
- Colten Mertens, Cole Sager, Enrico Zenoni and Giorgios Karavis, who are all individual male athletes, withdrew prior to the start of competition. Mertens has reportedly been dealing with an autoimmune disease and has been receiving treatment, Karavis has been struggling with a back injury and an ankle sprain, while Sager was slated for double duty in individual and team, but was replaced by Dallin Pepper on Team Good Dudes, with Jayson Hopper and James Sprague. Zenoni is recovering from a pec injury.
The bottom line: This list is as comprehensive as possible, however this is by no means a complete list. The athletes that we have included will be on our radar to watch as the new season approaches and we hope to see speedy recoveries and a strong start to the season.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields