How to Program 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Open Workout 23.1 for Kids
With the entire CrossFit world taking on 23.1 this weekend, even the smallest athletes in our space should get a chance! While they might be too little to throw around 135 pounds for 30 cleans, kids can take part in the “fun” all the same. Here are some ways you can adapt the first installment of the 2023 Open for the littles at your gym:
For Preschool and Elementary
At this age, it’s all about fun! Anything you can make into a partner workout, game, or other challenges will make your little athletes more motivated than Mat Fraser. Plus, when counting isn’t yet a strong suit, game-based workouts can help keep kids on track.
23.1 – Bowling Edition
- Put up three foam rollers on the opposite side of the gym from athletes. These are your “cones.”
- In addition, make space approximately three meters from the foam rollers for athletes to stand when “bowling.”
- Last, put five dodgeballs by each athlete’s workout station. These are your “bowling balls” and your rep counters.
- 10 hanging knee raises
- 10 wall balls or dumbbell thrusters
- 10 medicine ball cleans
- 10 jumping pullups or ring rows
After the completion of each movement, athletes take one dodgeball from their workout station and bring it to their bowling space, three meters from the foam rollers. At the end of each set, athletes run down to their bowling station and try to knock down all three foam rollers.
For Middle and High School
23.1 Partner Edition
With older kids, it’s easier to keep the workout close to the originally programmed version, and the typical scaling options are always available.
- Rowing: fewer calories
- Toes-to-bar: knee raises, leg raises from the ground, sit-ups
- Wall Balls: less weight, dumbbell thrusters
- Cleans: Medicine ball cleans
- Muscle-ups: jumping pull-ups, jumping chest-to-bars
However, if you’re looking to make a 14-minute AMRAP a little more exciting for your teen athletes, a partner format can help spice up this workout.
- 30 calorie row
- 25 Toes-to-bar
- 20 wall balls
- 15 cleans
- 10 pull-ups
Whether you’re a tried and true CrossFit Kids coach or just looking to get your own kids in the gym this Open, we’ll be back every week delivering CrossFit Kids solutions.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields