Six Places to Grab a Beer in Madison During the CrossFit Games
Cheering for the Fittest on Earth in the hot sun can be exhausting, so much so that by the end of each day, you will probably want to sit back, relax, and crack open a cold one. You’re in luck–Madison is a great city to grab a craft beer!
Here are five of the best places to check out over Games Week.
1) Young Blood Beer Co. (112 King St. Madison, WI 53703)
*Closes 12 AM on Friday/Saturday
This unique brewery opened in 2020 and boasts creatively named beers and unique flavor combinations. The menu is constantly rotating and they serve food as well. There is a second location on the northern side of the city on North Street.
2) Capital Brewery (7734 Terrace Ave. Middleton, WI 53562)
*Closes 10 PM Friday, Closes 9 PM Saturday
Capital Brewery produced its first keg in 1986, sold its first can in 1997 and continues to serve brews so good that they have won over 240 medals. Bring all your friends from North Park and head over to the massive Beer Garden that can seat over 1000 and enjoy some music as you kick back.
3) Black Rose Blending Company (1602 Gilson St. Madison, WI 73715)
Black Rose was started by Kyle Metz, a long-time employee of Funk Factory Geuzeria, a Lambic beer brewery that moved sales online. They boast a tasting room where you can sample a curated list of beers and soon wine and ciders. They offer charcuterie and cheese plates in house but also welcome outside food. Enjoy the dog-friendly patio, and try to beat your friends at pinball!
*Closed Monday and Tuesday
4) One Barrel Brewing Company (2001 Atwood Ave. Madison, WI 53704)
*Closes 10 PM on Friday/Saturday
What started small, one barrel at a time, the One Barrel Brewing Company has now grown to offer bigger batches of beer and cider. They also offer boutique BBQ to go with their cold ones.
5) Great Dane Pub & Brewing (123 E. Doty St. Madison, WI53703)
*Closes 1 AM on Friday/Saturday
The Great Dane has been a Madison stable for over 25 years, serving food and drinks happily to all who visit. Named after Dane County, two college buddies opened the Pub, and they have a food menu almost as extensive as their beer selection. Come for a pint, stay for the cheese curds.
6) Alt Brew (1808 Wright St., Madison, WI 53704)
*Open Thursday-Saturday, 1-9 PM
Love beer, but can’t have gluten? No worries, Alt Brew has you covered! Alt Brew brews with entirely gluten-free ingredients on equipment solely dedicated to gluten-free production. Trevor Easton, an accomplished brew-master, was motivated to get into gluten-free brewing when his wife was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, and they could no longer share a beer together. Drop in for the beer, and stay for some gluten-free snacks!
- Delta Beer Lab
- Lucky’s 1313 Brew Pub
- Working Draft Beer Co.
- O’so Brewing Co. Madhouse
More Than Beer:
- Old Sugar Distillery
- State Line Distillery
- Plain Spoke Cocktails
Not Drinking Right Now?
There are plenty of locally brewed NA beverages available across Madison. Keep your eyes out for:
- Untitled Art NA Beer
- Wiscopop + Sparkle
- Rude Brew Kombucha
- Per Wisconsin state law, beer is only available for take-out purchases until midnight (liquor and wine until 9 pm).
- Some breweries close earlier than you think, so check on the hours.
- Make reservations if you are a big group!
- Most breweries offer cans or bottles to go, so stock up to take back to your room!