Today, CrossFit HQ announced four new sanctioned events for the 2019 CrossFit Games season and one for the 2020 season, bringing the grand total to 16. There are now sanctioned events across 11 countries on six continents.
“These new events are a true testament to CrossFit’s global reach,” said CrossFit founder Greg Glassman in a press release. “Whether athletes are competing in Wollongong, Reykjavik, or Shanghai, they represent the spirit of the CrossFit community—a community that today crosses more borders and contains more languages and cultures than we could have ever imagined at the start.”
In previous interviews, Glassman hinted at a total of 16 sanctioned events in the first year, while alluding to the possibility of surpassing that number down the road. Currently, fourteen of the sixteen sanctioned events are for the 2019 Games season.
Due to the 2019 CrossFit Open running from late February through March, sanctioned events are starting to bottleneck. There are now four sanctioned events scheduled in May in four separate countries: Brazil, Iceland, Australia, and the Netherlands. However, for the 2020 CrossFit Games season, the Open will take place in October freeing up the five weeks in February and March.
Here is the complete 2019 CrossFit Games calendar.
Updates to the 2019 CrossFit Games Season
- Registration for the 2019 CrossFit Open: January 10, 2019
- Down Under CrossFit Championship: May 17-19, 2019 in Wollongong, Australia.
- Reykjavik CrossFit Championship: May 2019 in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Asia CrossFit Championship: April 2019 in China.
- Australian CrossFit Championship: January 2019 in Queensland, Australia.
Updates to the 2020 CrossFit Games Season
- Pandaland CrossFit Championship: December 2019 in Chengdu, China.