With Camille Leblanc-Bazinet joining Team ROMWOD/WIT as the alternate yesterday, she essentially walked away from what could have been her 10th consecutive individual CrossFit Games appearance; something only one other athlete has accomplished: Ben Smith.
CrossFit as a sport, only in it’s 13th year, is relatively new compared to every other mainstream sport. Therefore, records are going to be set and broken fairly often, but this one could be fairly hard to beat.
The Race to 10: A quick look at who’s qualified 10 years as an individual and who’s close.
- 10: Ben Smith, who has the opportunity to extend that to 11 if he qualifies in 2019. Smith is the only athlete with 10 consecutive appearances as an individual.
- 10: Becca Voigt. After failing to qualify in 2017, she missed out on a 10th consecutive appearance. She came back to qualify in 2018 to get her 10th and has the opportunity for an 11th if she qualifies this year, but her streak ended at nine.
- 10: Annie Thorisdottir, not consecutive and pending final qualification through the 2019 Open.
- 9: Camille Leblanc-Bazinet. Consecutive, but she’s competing on a team this year which will break the streak. Leblanc-Bazinet is tied with Voigt for the most consecutive appearances.
- 8: Scott Panchik. Consecutive, pending qualification through the 2019 Open.
Bottom Line: Ben Smith currently holds the longest consecutive streak with 10 straight, and if he fails to qualify this year Scott Panchik is the next closest with eight. With Panchik’s unbelievably consistent Open performance, 32nd or better every year since 2012, Mr. Consistency looks to be in a solid position.
Ben Smith will have his work cut out for him if he’s going to qualify in 2019.
- Smith has been working his way back from minor knee surgery during the off season and finished 4771 in the Open this season.
- The only Sanctional Smith is confirmed to compete at so far is the Rogue Invitational, and that might be his best chance to qualify. Even though the competition will be fierce, only three athletes on the current roster have NOT qualified which increases his chances.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
When the Age Group Divisions were canceled for the 2020 CrossFit Games back on April 30, Azariah Price and…
As peaceful protests appeared in the wake of the death of George Floyd, the owners, coaches and athletes of Invictus…