Event Recap: France Closes Out First Sanctionals Season
Sunday night in Yvelines, France, the curtains officially closed on the inaugural Sanctional season that kicked off in Dubai last December. In the span of nearly seven months, 15 sanctioned events have sent 30 individuals and 14 teams to the CrossFit Games.
- Invictus Boston
- Team ROMWOD Meat Squad
- CrossFit Mayhem Independence
- Jonne Koski
- Willy Georges
- Josh Miller
- Jacqueline Dahlstrom
- Carrie Beamer
- Eik Gylfadottir
- Invictus Boston (Team)
- Josh Miller
- Sabrina Caron
3 Key takeaways from the weekend in France:
- Point scoring: CrossFit French Throwdown is the first Sanctional to adjust the scoring rubric for the final event. The idea is that if the competitive field is cut in half, then the point structure should be flattened out. An athlete can place 10th and still get 60 points. With only 10 athletes on the floor competing, 10th is dead last. Good on French Throwdown for recognizing this and updating. More on this breakdown here.
- Jacqueline Dahlstrom becomes only the second woman to win two Sanctionals this season. She also won the Reykjavik CrossFit Championship. Sam Briggs is the only other athlete to do that this season.
- This is why you need a tiebreaker for individual events. There was a seven-way tie for second on the final event because seven female athletes were unable to get a single dumbbell ground to overhead on the final event.
Who on earth is invited from the rest of the Sanctionals?
- Dubai CrossFit Championship: Bethany Shadburne, Roman Khrennikov and Invictus.
- Wodaalooza: Taylor Streid, Noah Ohlsen and Team ROMWOD/WIT.
- Australian CrossFit Championship: Maddie Sturt, James Newbury and Project X.
- Fittest in Cape Town: Michelle Merand, Sean Sweeney and Vondelgym.
- Strength in Depth: Emma Tall, Bronislaw Olenkowicz and Central Beasts.
- Mid Atlantic CrossFit Championship: Melissa Herman*, John Paul Hethcock and Team MisFit.
- Italian Showdown: Erin Vandendriessche and Lukas Esslinger (No team division).
- Asia CrossFit Championship: Eik Hylfadottir, Brent Fikowski and CrossFit Mayhem Freedom.
- Reykjavik CrossFit Championship: Hannah Karlsson, Will Moorad and Team JST Compete.
- Down Under CrossFit Championship: Lindsay Vaughan, Matt McLeod and X-terminators.
- Brazil CrossFit Championship: Paige Semenza, Saxon Panchik and Pro1 Montreal.
- Rogue Invitational: Rachel Garibay, Chandler Smith and CrossFit OC3.
- CrossFit Lowlands Throwdown: Alice Mille, Ryan Sowder and Team Barbells Prepared.
- Granite Games: Emily Rolfe, Nick Block and Invictus X.
- CrossFit French Throwdown: Sabrina Caron, Josh Miller and Invictus Boston.
* Melissa Herman’s invite is pending Meg Reardon’s deciding whether to compete on Invictus Boston or as an individual. If she competes with Invictus, then her invite passes to Herman.