The Australian CrossFit community has raised nearly $100,000 to help support the country’s unrelenting bushfire crisis. Collectively a goal has been set by affiliates worldwide to raise more than a quarter of a million dollars.
The Fittest On Earth have also been assisting with the fundraising efforts, bringing much needed cash for the country’s firefighting services and emergency relief.
- James Newbury partnered with FITAID for the Aussie Koala Bear Challenge. They’ve managed to raise $20,000 and counting. His coach Michele Letendre from DekaComp also launched the 100 burpee box jump overs for time challenge. Watch Pat Vellner complete the workout here in just 5:37.
- Brent Fikowski dropped in to CrossFit CrossAxed in Brisbane as a guest coach when 50 members took on the hero workout “HotShots 19” to raise money on January 11.
- Khan Porter has also programmed his own fundraiser workout “Heart” asking CrossFitters around the world to take part and donate money.
The devastation in Australia is unprecedented, but so too have been the worldwide fundraising efforts.
The Morning Chalk Up has been inundated with affiliates all around the world pitching in to help and while we’ve been trying to showcase as many as possible–both on the website and newsletter–here’s an update on a few in Australia that we’ve been keeping an eye on.
- Hotshots 19: Many affiliates took on the brutal hero workout this weekend. CrossFit Torian was one, managing to raise $3,500.
- CrossFit Bells Beach chose to take a different approach, raising thousands of dollars for one family in particular–a member of their community–that lost everything in the fires.
- Burpees For The Bush Fires is ongoing with 25 gyms now on board. The team from CrossFit Hoppers Crossing have set a bold goal of raising $30,000.
- The folks at The WOD Life are still encouraging people to take on their fundraiser workout – as they grow closer to their tally of raising $10,000.
- CrossFitters For BushFire Relief is rallying support from gyms worldwide and currently has 70 boxes taking part in their workout later this month. The team set a goal of raising a quarter of a million dollars – sign up your box here.
- Lifting Culture Apparel raised $7,500 for Red Cross Australia with their limited edition t-shirt. Solid effort guys!
You can read more about what’s happening down under and where to donate here.
If you’re a local affiliate with members affected by the bushfire crisis, be sure to reach out to us [email protected].
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.