Four scintillating days of team competition at the 2020 Wodapalooza CrossFit Festival came down to the ninth and final workout on Sunday to determine the fate of two CrossFit Mayhem teams. CrossFit Mayhem Freedom was locked in a heated battle with Team GoWOD for the top spot overall and CrossFit Mayhem Independence was desperately trying to fend off Team Victory Grips for the CrossFit Games invite.
When Mahyem Independence managed to cross the finish line and smack the Throwdowns timing buzzer one last time, they secured a 4th place finish and the invite to the 2020 CrossFit Games and here’s why.
- CrossFit Mayhem Freedom already has their ticket after they thoroughly manhandled the competition en route to winning Strength in Depth a month ago, meaning the invite would get passed down to Team GoWOD
- Team GoWOD cannot accept the invite because both of the team’s females, Andrea Nisler and Taylor Williamson, are already on a Games team roster with MisFit P10 performance.
- CrossFit Games rulebook section 4.05: “Once an athlete is listed on a Games team roster, if the athlete competes on a different team prior to the Games, the athlete’s new team will not be eligible to receive an invitation to the Games.”
- Team WIT technically receives the invite next but will eventually decline due to both Sam Briggs and Harriet Roberts having individual invitations to the Games already. WIT would be required to list both athletes on their Games roster, but would only have one female alternate to replace two athletes, making them ineligible.
Once Team WIT officially declines, the Games invite will pass down to Mayhem Independence who will ultimately take the invite as the Sanctional invitee from Wodapalooza. Mayhem Independence missed out on the Games last season after nearly making the podium and finishing 4th at the Games in 2018.
- Mayhem Independence’s Wodapalooza competition roster: Chase Hill, Royce Dunne, Kristin Miller, and Feeroozah Saghafi.
- Kristin Miller is the only returning member from the 2018 Mayhem Independence Games roster, however, Chase Hill is the only athlete on the team without any Games experience.
- Fee Saghafi earned her individual invitation to the Games from the Mayhem Classic and will be replaced on the team for the Games by 2019 individual Games athlete Taylor Streid, who coincidentally earned her invitation last year as an individual from Wodapalooza.
- Saghafi will still be required to be listed on the official team roster for the Games (rulebook section 4.05), but will be listed as an alternate, leaving Mayhem Independence without a true alternate in case of injury or illness to Miller or Streid.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
Mia Hesketh, Jay Crouch and Starr Strength Black Earn Games Invitations at Australian CrossFit Championship
Four long days of competition have wrapped up on the Gold Coast, with athletes being tested in a Games-like…