On Wednesday evening, the Granite Games announced on Instagram that “in light of the current global situation, we’ve made the decision to postpone the 2020 Granite Games to a later date, to be determined.” The event was originally scheduled to take place June 12-14 in Saint Cloud, MN.
One big thing: The Granite Games is the 14th Sanctional to be postponed in the face of the global coronavirus pandemic. Of the 14, eight have yet to announce new dates, meaning that, if restrictions are lifted later this summer, there could be several double, triple, or even quadruple Sanctional weekends.
From the announcement: “We’ve made this decision, while keeping our community’s safety as our top priority.”
- “To our athletes, spectators, staff and partners, we appreciate your support and patience as we navigate these turbulent times and seek a plausible date to host this community gathering & competition nearly a decade in the making. We will be transparent and communicate as often as we have updates and will keep you fully informed of any future decisions.
An important note: The postponement announcement concluded by saying “More information about the IOQ2 will be shared soon.”
- The International Online Qualifier 2 is set to take place April 6-15 and serves as the qualifying event for the Granite Games, the Asbury Park Summer Games, the Madrid CrossFit Championship and the Mayan CrossFit Classic.
- There is currently no more information available from IOQ2 organizers, but given that so many CrossFit gyms are closed around the world and that many countries, states and provinces are in mandatory lockdown, it is likely that some changes are in store for those looking to qualify for these Sanctionals.
Loud and Live Sports: The Granite Games is the third of five Sanctionals in the Loud and Live Sports family to be postponed this season.
- The Wodapalooza CrossFit Festival, the first Loud and Live event of the season took place in Miami, FL, February 20-23.
- The West Coast Classic, Madrid CrossFit Championship and the Granite Games have all announced postponements. None has yet locked in new dates.
- As of right now, the Mayan CrossFit Classic (Riviera Maya, Mexico, July 3-5) is planned as scheduled.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
As countries around the world aggressively respond to COVID-19, what is the right course of action for you? Do…
Not only did 60-year-old Will Powell dominate the men’s 60-plus division during the CrossFit Games Age Group…