In the same fashion gyms in the Australian state of Queensland were given just 24 hours notice to close 10 weeks ago, they were given the green light by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Sunday that they could reopen by midday Monday (AEST)
Talk about a logistical nightmare: Stage Two of easing restrictions was scheduled to begin on June 12, but the Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles said it had been bumped up.
Gyms were able to re-open starting Monday at midday with a maximum of 20 people in each section, which is subject to increase if affiliates submit a “COVID-safe” plan.
- CrossFit Neuro’s Jo Johnson wrote to her members: “We are super excited to announce that from this Tuesday… in 2 sleeps time…. we will be running our classes inside again!”
- CrossFit Dux’s Gregg Wilson also shared the excitement: “Stage 2 has been moved forward by 2 weeks… We are PUMPED!”
On such short notice: Affiliate owners thought they had another two weeks up their sleeves, and we’re hearing a lot of Queensland gyms choosing to delay reopening by half a day, to ensure their facilities are ready for the first class on Tuesday morning.
Elsewhere around Australia and New Zealand:
- In New South Wales, gyms will reopen on June 13, along with yoga studios and indoor pools. Classes will be capped at 10 people, with a maximum of 100 people per venue.
- Gyms have already been allowed to reopen in the Northern Territory, Australian Capital Territory and Western Australia.
- It’s also the situation in New Zealand with gyms now reopened.
- In South Australia gyms can open on June 8 with a maximum of 20 people, likewise in the state of Victoria where boxes can come back on June 22.
- Tasmanian affiliates are also planning to reopen on June 15.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
Affiliate owner Nathan Black and his team at BGB CrossFit in Fayetteville, GA wanted to do something for the…
2020 has been an eventful year for Robbie Rodriguez. It started when the urgent care nurse and former CrossFit Games…