Two-Time Fittest Woman Katrin Davidsdottir Cracks Top 50 Most Marketable Athletes in 2020
Each year, Sports Pro 50mm compiles a list of the top fifty most marketable athletes. Pulling from a pool of nearly 6,000 athletes, 25 countries, and 21 sports, the analysis gives each athlete a score based on a range of metrics that help to indicate their reach and engagement on social media. This year, a familiar face for the fitness community sat in 45th place, two-time fittest woman on earth, Katrin Davidsdottir.
One big thing: Davidsdottir’s inclusion on this list is not the first time we’ve seen major CrossFit personalities recognized in places outside the sport of fitness. But, this kind of recognition is reflective of the growth of the sport of fitness as it becomes more widely acknowledged by the public and mainstream media.
Trending: In the past year, several CrossFit athletes have made major inroads in national and global brands outside the fitness arena.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir signed with Volkswagen in April of this 2020.
- Mat Fraser and Tia-Clair Toomey worked with Chipotle to offer their own signature bowls on menus nationwide earlier this year.
- Gilette paired up with several big names, including Mat Fraser and Cole Sager, to create the marketing campaign #GilletteSweatForRogue during the 2020 Rogue Invitational.
Other lists: Davidsdottir is not the first CrossFitter to sit amongst big-name athletes like basketball player Lebron James and soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo on lists like these.
- Many CrossFit athletes have appeared on the Sports Illustrated 50 Fittest list, including Rich Froning, Mat Fraser, Tia-Clair Toomey, Christmas Abbott, Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet, Talayna Fortunato, Samantha Briggs, and Ben Smith.
- Rich Froning was featured this year in Men’s Health among the 63 fittest men of all time
- Katrin Davidsdottir was also featured in ESPN’s 2019 Body Issue amongst other major names, including the Philadelphia Eagles offensive line. She also spoke at the ESPN women’s summit.
- Anna Tunnicliffe Tobias was also in ESPN’s Body Issue in 2012, at the beginning of her CrossFit career (she was featured as a sailor).
- Although it’s not a “list,” several Crossfitters have been featured on and performed very well against other professional athletes on NBC’s The Titan Games, including Jessica Griffith, Matt Chan, Margaux Alverez, and Dani Speegle.
The Bottom Line: Katrin Davidsdottir serves as both a pioneer and advocate for athletes inside the CrossFit space looking to grow their careers as professional athletes and maintain their sponsorship viability as they step into retirement. Unlike athletes of the past, who relied on TV advertisements and magazines for endorsement deals, these athletes are in a unique position to be able to continue to leverage their social media following even after they step away from the bright lights of competition. Athletes like Katrin Davidsdottir, who boasts almost two million followers, will be able to continue to share their lives and their fitness journey through platforms like Instagram, keeping their fans engaged and interested. As they branch out into big-name sponsorship deals and find themselves more and more on major lists such as Sports Pro 50mm, it only increases their ability to continue to push further outside the space of CrossFit and make a larger impact as influencers and brand ambassadors.