CrossFit Invictus Becomes the Only Affiliate to Send Two Teams to the 2021 CrossFit Games
The team competition at The West Coast Classic was fierce this weekend, but perhaps no battle was as intense as the intergym battle fans saw play out before them between Team Invictus and Invictus Unconquerable.
One big thing: After team competition was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Invictus teams stepped back out onto the floor for the first time this year with a fire in their hearts.
- Both Team Invictus and Invictus Unconquerable featured rosters of strong athletes, including Games competitors, Jenn Ryan and Eric Carmody on Team Invictus and Alex Bozenhard, Devyn Kim, and Taylor Ballek on Invictus Unconquerable.
- While Unconquerable finished eight spots behind Team Invictus in Quarterfinals, Unconquerable stepped out onto the floor this weekend ready to go toe-to-toe with Invictus.
The battle: Over the course of the weekend, Team Invictus would battle Unconquerable, going head to head in nearly every workout.
- Over the course of the weekend, the team would finish six out of the eight scored events within three spots of each other. (Note: Event 4 — the 1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk — was scored twice, with the men’s and women’s total loads both receiving scores)
- While both teams had their “damage control” events, they both finished seven out of the eight scores in the top five, with Team Invictus finishing seven out of the eight scores in the top three.
The final showdown: While Invictus Unconquerable took home the higher number of event wins over the weekend, it would be Team Invictus who would sit thirteen points ahead of Invictus Unconquerable going into the final worm workout of the day.
- While Unconquerable was unable to best Team Invictus in the final event of the day, the two teams would come in first and second place respectively as the Sea of Green cheered them on over the finish line.
- A cherry on top to a phenomenal weekend for the two teams that would lock the gym into the top two podium spots, making them the only affiliate to send two teams to the CrossFit Games this year.
- This will be the third year in a row that Invictus will have multiple teams compete at the Games (not including 2020, when team competition was canceled, but Invictus still qualified a team).
The Sea of Green continues: With two podium finishes before the afternoon even started out in Vegas, the Sea of Green was brought to their feet with happiness, but they’re not done.
- Individual Invictus Athletes Regan Huckaby and Dani Speegle currently sit in fourth and fifth place respectively in the elite women’s division.
- This afternoon, they hope to make a push for the podium in the final two events of the West Coast Classic.