Athlete Cuts Are Back at the CrossFit Games
Today, CrossFit Games announced the return of athlete cuts that will be instituted throughout the competition week. Unlike in 2019, the cuts are much less drastic and similar to the cuts used for years at the Games.
The cut schedule: There are 15 total events for individual athletes. Based on that, it seems likely that the first cut to 30 will take place after events seven or eight.
- Wednesday through Friday: 40 athletes (Cut to 30)
- Saturday Event 1: Top 30 athletes (Cut to 20)
- Saturday Event 2: Top 20 athletes
- Sunday: Top 20 athletes
One big thing: The big question is how CrossFit will adjust the point spread after the cuts? The 30-athlete scoring table in 2020 and 2019 were identical, making it likely they’ll follow a similar format.
The big picture: Cuts are nothing new to the CrossFit Games. They were used to pare the field down from the 2009 Games through the 2014 Games.
- For unknown reasons, CrossFit stopped pairing down the field in 2015, maintaining the entire field of 40 athletes until 2019 when it was brought back amid much controversy.
- Due to the global pandemic, in 2020 CrossFit paired the field down from 30 to five so they could safely run the Games.