No Major Changes for 2022 Games Season Despite Dave Castro Firing
News of Dave Castro’s firing last week brought forth questions about the 2022 CrossFit Games season regarding formatting, which kicks off February 24 with the Open.
One big thing: CrossFit’s head of communications made it clear no significant changes to the 2022 season structure will be made at this point.
- Andrew Weinstein: “We know how important predictability is for our athletes’ training, and we want to ensure this season provides that consistency for affiliates and participants, so the 2022 season will run as announced.”
Why it matters: The CrossFit Games season has undergone significant changes over the past several years, with almost no continuity since a complete reformatting after the 2018 CrossFit Games.
Also important to note: One change to the CrossFit Open that might have been lost in the shuffle is that weekly workouts will now be released at 12:00 PM PT, five hours earlier than in years past.
- Weinstein also confirmed that live Open announcements will also be moved to 12:00 PM PT.
2022 CrossFit Games season schedule:
- The Open: February 24 – March 14
- Quarterfinals (Individuals, Teams and Age Groups): March 24 – April 24
- Semifinals (Individuals and Teams) — In-person
- Week 1: May 20 – 22
- Week 2: May 27 – 29
- Week 3: June 3 – 5
- Week 4: June 10 – 12
- Semifinals (Age Groups) — Online
- Age group (Divisions 14-15, 16-17, 35-39, 40-44, and 45-49): May 26-29
- Age group (Divisions 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, and 65+): June 2-5
- Adaptive: June 2-5
- Last Chance Qualifier: June 29 – July 1
- CrossFit Games: August 4 – 7
- The 2022 CrossFit Games Rulebook Has Arrived, Here’s What Is New And Noteworthy
- 2022 CrossFit Open Workouts Finalized, “Will be Very Painful” Castro Promises