Three Key Takeaways from Wodapalooza Day 2
The top of the leaderboard after Day 2 of Wodapalooza in Miami looks oddly familiar to Day 1: Patrick Vellner and Ellie Turner continue to lead the way.
Behind Vellner, Phil Toon also continues to have a strong showing and remains in third, while Alexandre Caron and Dallin Pepper swapped positions from Day 1. Caron is now in second while Pepper sits in fourth.
On the women’s side, Emma McQuaid jumped from sixth after Day 1 to second heading into Day 3, while Bethany Shadburne dropped from second to tied for third with Dani Speegle, exactly where Speegle was after the first day of competition.
Michele Letendre’s Trio Showing Up in a Big Way
Not only does Letendre coach both of the leaders, Turner and Vellner, she also coaches 20-year-old Freya Moosbrugger, a 2021 NOBULL CrossFit Games semifinals athlete, who is having a strong competition and sits eighth overall. Her best finish so far was seventh on Friday night’s The Bayside Chipper.
“Everyone’s doing great,” Letendre said of her squad on Friday. “Everyone’s injury-free. Everyone’s happy. They’re having a good laugh. They’re having fun.”
Brute Strength Athletes Excelling
Not to be outshone by Letendre’s athletes, Brute Strength coach Matt Torres’s athletes are also having a great weekend. He coaches Toon and Pepper, sitting in third and fourth respectively, as well as 19-year-old James Sprague, currently 15th overall thanks to a third place finish in The Bayside Chipper.
Women’s Team Turning into a Tight Race
Heading into the final event of Friday there was a three-way tie for first—Team Kriger (Kristin Holte, Ingrid Hodnemyr, Lena Richter), Team GOWOD (Mia Hesketh, Julie Hougard, Sólveig Sigurðardóttir) and MayFem (Haley Adams, Andrea Nisler, Taylor Williamson).
In the end, Team Kriger pulled ahead of the pack, while MayFem followed in second and GOWOD in third. Team Kriger currently leads by just three points over MayFem and seven points over GOWOD, setting Saturday’s events up to be even more exciting.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir did not take the floor for Event 4, The Bayside Chipper, however due to no minimum work requirements in the competition she can still continue competing on Saturday. Whether she chooses to do that is unknown.
Day 2 Leaderboard
- Ellie Turner (379) / Patrick Vellner (376)
- Emma McQuaid (343) / Alexandre Caron (349)
- Bethany Shadburne (334) / Phil Toon (346)
- Dani Speegle (334) / Dallin Pepper (319)
- Feerozeh Saghafi (314) / Cole Sager (278)
- Emma Tall (313) / Jayson Hopper (276)
- Arielle Loewen (310) / Samuel Cournoyer (267)
- Freya Moosbrugger (274) / Tim Paulson (259)
- Lucy Campbell (272) / Matt Poulin (258)
- Oihana Moya Oliver (263) / Tyler Christophel (256)
- Team Kriger (391) / The Boys (391)
- MayFem (388) / Thunder From Down Under (367)
- Team GOWOD (385) / Samsarellamann (331)
- Born Primitive Underdogs (361) / Team Herculus (322)
- The Comeback Team (292) / Invictus (319)
- Omnia (289) / Two and a Half Men (313)
- Team Fleo Fuego (289) / 2 and a Half Men (301)
- 3 Blind Mice (283) / French GOWOD Team (295)
- Freakin Fitness (280) / Smith Bros (295)
- JUNK (274) / Training Culture (283)