From Quarterfinals to Wedding in One Weekend for Meg O’Donnell
When Meg O’Donnell and her wife Alexis Esbitt were looking at wedding ceremony dates last year, they settled on March, knowing full well it may present a challenge given O’Donnell is an avid CrossFitter.
- “Technically my wife and I got legally married last year,” said the 33-year-old who started doing CrossFit about a decade ago and currently lives in Delaware. “But we still wanted to do the big day.”
O’Donnell said while looking for dates, everything in November was booked up where they wanted to have the ceremony.
- “So we landed on March. I told my wife, Alexis, that we would probably be in the middle of the season for Crossfit. We were unsure since 2021 was the first three week Open into the Quarterfinals year. We weren’t sure if it would change again. So we snagged the 25th of March, a Friday, and went with it. We just didn’t know how much in the middle of the season we would be.”
Thus O’Donnell found herself heading into a weekend she will surely never forget. She sent out a few emails to gyms around the venue, HollyHedge Estate in New Hope, PA and settled on CrossFit Mad Hatter, which is located in Bucks County, PA.
- “I knew I would start with Workout 2,” said O’Donnell about getting started on Thursday. “After I completed that one, we discussed and thought it would be best to do the Other Total (Workout 4). I was trying to fit these two workouts in before my rehearsal dinner.”
O’Donnell said she knew she had hair and makeup Friday morning, which presented another challenge.
- “So I woke up around six to get myself to the gym to fit in Workout 1 before we got dolled up and dressed. Then I went to look at my video and realized that it had cut out. It was about 8:10ish at this time. I texted both my wife and coach and told them. We knew I had no other time to come back. So I ended up having to wait about 30 to 45 minutes and go again. Mind you, I almost had a full meltdown in front of a bunch of strangers.”
Then it was time for the festivities.
- “I submitted my Friday scores and then went about my day. We had a great time. Awesome venue, awesome staff. Everyone came up and complimented us on the staff, food, venue and what a good time they had.”
And then Saturday morning rolled around and O’Donnell said she was able to have breakfast with her family before she tackled Workout 3 around lunchtime which included rope climbs, wall balls and shuttle runs.
- “My videos didn’t upload in time or I didn’t start uploading them soon enough. So I had to submit my score without the links and then email the links in. Drive home Saturday night. And then I got to hit Workout 5 with my home crew. I ended up having to do that one twice as well. But that was because of performance.”
O’Donnell, who ended up finishing 89th in North America, said despite the logistical chaos she still enjoyed herself immensely.
- “It ended up being a great weekend. I’m sure I could’ve done better had I not had to rush around and try to fit things in around my wedding. But I’m unofficially in right now. Also we got to celebrate our marriage. So technically, that’s all that matters.”
Of course, she wouldn’t suggest trying what she did last weekend.
- “While I had a great time, I don’t know that I’d recommend it to anyone out there. But you gotta do what you gotta do.”