Cape Town Box Rocked By Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Earlier this week a Cape Town newspaper reported that a gym owner in a prominent local gym has been accused of allegedly using a cellphone to film a female member in the gym’s showers.
The details: According to the article, the incident took place about three weeks ago when the member was leaving the shower and noticed a cell phone pointed toward her in the bathroom cubicle.
- Initially, the member thought the phone had been left there by accident, but soon realized it had been recording her and who it belonged to.
- A separate article, published on netwerk24.com identified the gym as CrossFit District 6 and the co-owner against whom the allegations have been made as Lushwill Rossouw.
What they’re saying: According to the first article, several gym members expressed shock and disbelief.
- “There’s so much respect for this man and everyone’s really shocked. This is devastating and I feel disgusted,” said one female member who did not want to be named.
- The gym co-owner offered a public apology to members shortly after the allegations came to light. “I commit to seeking professional counsel to address the causes that may have given rise to my regrettable action. To instill a sense of comfort for you and set a path towards healing, forgiveness, and reconciliation, I am taking a leave of absence with immediate effect until further decisions and actions have been concluded.”
- CrossFit Teens Face Harassment Online and In the Gym, Further Expose Ugly Trend
- Female CrossFit Athletes Expose the Dark Underbelly of Instagram: “It’s Just What You Have to Deal With Now”