The Story On the Teams Bubble at North America East
While the race for the podium will always be front and center in any major CrossFit competition, the North America East Semifinals present a unique opportunity for an unprecedented number to punch their ticket to the Games regardless of whether or not they take the podium.
What you need to know: With ten spots up for grabs this weekend, the fight for the final five spots is already shaping up to be a tight race.
Despite only having two workouts on Day 1, we saw the battle already beginning to form on the bubble.
- At the conclusion of the day, spots seven through eleven were separated by under 10 points.
- While CLT The Grit Haus, CrossFit OBA, 8th Day CrossFit, and TTT CrossFit Black all held qualifying positions, CrossFit Resurrection trailed TTT CrossFit Black by just three points.
While Day 2 brought two additional workouts, the additional point offerings did little to stabilize the pockets of teams fighting for the spots right on the edge of that 10th place qualifying position.
- As the day kicked off, a refreshed and determined CrossFit PSC Invasion began to fight its way into the bubble, finishing fourth overall in Workout 3 and pulling themselves from 12th to 8th overall.
- Similarly, Stadd CrossFit The JS Method NTL also managed to pull themselves right to the edge of the bubble after Workout 3 where they jumped from 17th to 14th.
The final workout of Day 2 would bring even more leaderboard shifts, as the focus turned towards a more teamwork-heavy workout with synchronized box jumps and dumbbell snatches.
While heat one featured an impressive display from top teams like East Nashville PRVN and Mayhem Independence, the real excitement kicked off in heat three where several teams on the edge of the top ten would need to fight to put themselves in a solid position for Day 3.
- While they sat solidly outside the bubble for the first day, Stadd CrossFit The JS Method NTL absolutely smashed all previous times from heats one and two, earning them first in their heat and fourth in the workout overall.
- In the final heat, the competition for those bottom five qualifying spots would continue, with TTT CrossFit Black pulling off a third overall finish after two consecutive 14th-place finishes landed them outside of a qualifying spot heading into the workout.
- Their third-place finish would be enough for them to end their day in seventh.
Despite TTT CrossFit Black’s strong performance that managed to bring them back into seventh, they still remain in high competition to stay inside those qualifying spots.
- At the close of Day 2, TTT CrossFit Black, CrossFit OBA, CrossFit PSC Invasion, and 8th Day CrossFit all sit within ten points of each other.
Hovering close behind those teams sits another pocket of teams, all within six points of each other and within striking distance of the bottom pocket of the top ten teams.
- CrossFit Resurrection, Stadd CrossFit The JS Method NTL, and CrossFit Westchase sit in 11th, 12th, and 13th respectively, and within 25 points of that 10th-place qualifying spot.
The big picture: With just one more day of competition remaining for these teams, the fight will be fierce for who will earn those coveted ten spots at the 2023 CrossFit Games. With a never before seen number of qualifying spots available, we are sure to see one of the most exciting days of team competition yet.