Brazilians on the Rise on Day One at Copa Sur
The first day of individual competition at Copa Sur ended with new names at the top of the leaderboard, as fan favorites were nowhere to be found.
The details: Copa Sur is the South America Semifinal that will qualify 2 men, 2 women, and 2 teams to the CrossFit Games. Day 1 included competition for all divisions, along with a community throwdown with Rx and Scaled divisions.
Currently, Brazilians occupy 5 out of the top 10 places in both the men’s and women’s divisions, proving that being a local is an advantage.
Women: The sled proved to be heavy in Brazil, as women struggled to move the 180 pound implement in the first heats. Andreia Pinheiro currently ranked 1st overall in the Women’s 40-44 division, was the only athlete to finish under the time cap. Will we see her punch a ticket to the Games in the Individual division?
Men: Lago Guiraldes stopped the timer at 25:15 during the first heat of the Men’s division, and set the pace to beat. Kaique Cerveny took second place overall during the final heat, with a time of 25:25.
Test 1 standings
- Lago Guiraldes 25:15 / Andreia Pinheiro 29:12
- Kaique Cerveny 25:23 / Alexia Williams CAP+102
- Kalyan Souza 26:09 / Fernanda Dotto CAP+100
- Lukas Ozaki 26:32 / Valentina Rangel CAP+96
- Gustavo Errico 26:54 / Sasha Nievas CAP+96
Women: Emily Andrade would set the score to beat on the second heat of Test 2, but it would be Luiza Marques who, in true gymnast fashion, set the highest score of the day for the individual competition with 54 burpee box jump overs.
Men: Guilherme Malheiros and Agustin Richelme made the crowd stand on their feet as they battled in the middle of the floor through the burpee box jump overs. Malheiros took first place with 49 reps, and Kaique Cerveny secured another 96 points by slipping into second place.
Test 2 standings
- Guilherme Malheiros (49) / Luiza Marques (54)
- Kaique Cerveny (49) / Victoria Campos (46)
- Agustin Richelme (42) / Amanda Fusuma (42)
- Bruno Marins (41) / Emily Andrade (38)
- Joäo Pedro Barcelos (40) / Delfina Ortuño (37)
Some familiar names outside the bubble and onto moving day
- Sasha Nievas, one of the fan favorites from Mayhem Nation, had her lowest placing in Semifinals with a 24th place in Test 2. She finished Day 1 in 10th place overall.
- Gui Malheiros sits outside the cut line on the leaderboard, but just 27 points away from a qualifying position with five of seven tests remaining.
- Kaique Cerveny (192) / Andreia Pinheiro (180)
- Kalyan Souza (172) / Alexia Williams (172)
- Lago Guiraldes (160) / Emily Andrade (164)
- Bruno Marins (152) / Valentina Rangel (152)
- Omar Martinez (152) / Bruna Baxhix (152)
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields