The Best Places to Work Out in Madison During the CrossFit Games
For the seventh year in a row, the fittest crowd in the world will come together to cheer on the Fittest on Earth as they battle for the title at the CrossFit Games.
Nothing motivates people to do fitness more than watching other people do fitness, so while in Madison, it is the ideal chance to meet like-minded people from all over the world, meet your favorite athletes, stay on top of your training routine, try a new training camp’s programming, and often even get some free swag or photos.
No need to schedule your rest days while in Madison–here is your guide to working out at the Games!
- Time stamps are local time. (CDT)
CrossFit Big Dane (813 Post Rd, Madison, WI 53713)
- GOWOD is taking over CrossFit Big Dane again during Games week from Monday, July 31 toMonday, August 7.
- Who will be dropping by to coach and host? Mat Fraser, Chris Hinshaw, John Singleton, Justin Cotler, Max El-Hag, Matt Torres, and more.
- The Buttery Bros will be hosting a special workout on Wednesday afternoon
- GOWOD will cover every visitor’s drop-in fee at Big Dane during Games week; make sure to follow CrossFit Big Dane’s social media to stay apprised on how to register.
- To register, simply book a time for a free drop-in.
- Want to read more about HWPO leading wods at Big Dane? Check this out!
CrossFit Recursive (600 Williamson St # K2, Madison, WI 53703)
Class Schedule for Games Week:
- M-F: CrossFit Classes: 5:30am, 6:45am, 8am, 9am, 4:30pm, 6pm.
- Open Gym (2 hours slot): 10 am, noon, 2 pm.
- Sat/Sun: CrossFit Classes: 6am, 7:30am, 9am.
- Drop-ins are $25 per class or per each 2 hr. Open Gym time, discounts are available for multiple classes/days.
- Reserve your class spot, sign waivers, and pay fees here!
CrossFit Mojo (6111 Cottonwood Dr, Fitchburg, WI 53719)
- This year, Battle Cancer will partner with Nike to take over CrossFit Mojo and create the Battle Cancer Madison Metcon Gym.
- Battle Cancer will be hosting free classes and covering the cost of drop-ins during Games week.
- More cool stuff:
- Athletes will also be able to demo the brand-new Nike Metcon 9s and enter to win a pair!
- There will be giveaways all week and a free protein pancake breakfast after the 7:30 am Metcon Mash-Up Classes.
- The week ends with a scavenger hunt to find the Battle Cancer Team, where the winner will win a pair of brand-new Metcon 9s.
- Check out all the details.
TYR House at CrossFit Connex (6900 Mangrove Ln, Madison, WI 53713)
Drop in for free at the TYR takeover at Connex!
- From 7/31-8/6, drop in for a workout, check out all-new TYR footwear, watch the Games action on a big screen, and grab some food.
- On Wednesday 8/2, TYR will host 12 Heroes, an OUR classic fundraiser, which encourages athletes to remember and show gratitude to those who sacrificed in the line of duty.
- “This is our way of remembering and showing gratitude to those men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice – the question behind 12 Heroes is, ‘Can we do 12 in a row, for 12 hours?’ Drop in for the fundraiser, with a Hero Wod starting every hour, on the hour.”
CrossFit Sanctify (4535 Helgesen Dr, Madison, WI 53718)
Class Schedule for Games Week:
- M-F: 5 AM, 6:15 AM, 7:30 AM, 11 AM, 3:45 PM, 5 PM, 6:15 PM (not Fri)
- Sat/Sun: 8 AM, 9:15 AM
- Although class sizes will be increased to accommodate drop-ins during Games week, class sizes may still be capped; make sure to RSVP!
- If you are a Games athlete needing a place to train, Sanctify is offering their space at no charge; just make sure to call or email.
- Register for class on their website, and make sure to sign a waiver
- Drop-ins are $20 per class, 3 for $50, or unlimited week for $75
- Wednesday, 8/3 from 4-6 PM: EZ Muhammed is leading a snatch clinic, welcoming donations to his nonprofit Project Onyx.
- Caffeine and Kilos is hosting a FREE Weightlifting Clinic on 8/5 at 9 AM – the clinic is 90 mins long and covers snatch and clean and jerk.
- Want to get an early morning sweat in? Sanctify is hosting a CompTrain Workout presented by Ascent Protein, taking place on 8/5 and 8/6 at 6:15 AM.
- Come and learn from CompTrain coaches and Ascent nutritional experts!
On-Site At The Games:
Looking to squeeze in some fitness in between heats at the Alliant Energy Center? Head to the Spectator Workout Area for free! Here is the schedule for Wednesday, 8/2 – Sunday, 8/6:
- 9:30-11:30 AM – led by CrossFit Seminar staff
- 12-2 PM – led by PRVN
- 2-3 PM – led by HWPO
- 3-5 PM – led by Mayhem Athlete
Need more fitness?
- Head over to Pavilion 2 to participate in some benchmark workouts with CrossFit Weightlifting. Check them out Wednesday, 8/2 – Saturday, 8/5, 9-11 AM and 3-5 PM.
- Take part in a community 5k run on Friday, 8/4 at 1:30 PM.
- Visit the Nonprofits located in Pavilion 2, with workouts sponsored by Battle Cancer, FYR, The Out Foundation, and The Phoenix.
- Sponsor Row will play host to more workout opportunities, with the schedule being released soon.
- Looking to sweat with the Mayhem crew? Head over to the Mayhem Athlete Campground where they will be hosting tons of workouts and other fun activities.
- CrossFit Mayhem Madison will be a full gym experience onsite at the campground–Mayhem coaches will lead classes, teach mini clinics, and host open gym times.
- Want to get coached by Brooke Wells? Snag a spot for Reign’s Bodyweight Madison Metcon, with Brooke Wells & the Buttery Bro’s on Thursday August 3rd from 8:30-10:30am at Brittingham Boats. The event will feature a body-weight workout, chance to meet some of your favorites, along with plenty of delicious carbonated & caffeinated beverages, courtesy of Reign! Sign ups open Monday and spots are limited.
There are going to be a lot of people in Madison during Games week looking to get their fitness on, so here are a few reminders about dropping in:
- Reach out to the gym before dropping in – let them know what classes you want to attend and how many are in your group.
- Go online – most gyms offer the ability to pay your fee and sign your waiver online before you even set foot in the space.
- Get there early – respect the gym’s time and space, give yourself enough time to find parking, find the lay of the land, and warm up extra if needed.
- RSVP early for any special events – there are tons of special events, workouts, and seminars during Games week hosted by some of the fittest; these will fill up super fast! Reach out and RSVP early!
Remember to meet some amazing people and have a great time working out during the fittest week of the year!