7 Steps to Finding the Right CrossFit Box
When I found out that my husband got into graduate school at DU and we would be moving to Denver, my first thought was “But what gym will we go to?” I’m almost embarrassed to say that was my main concern, but let’s be honest — your gym is where you find your daily workouts, your mid-week sanity and maybe even your best friends.
Have you been in this position before? Maybe you’re in it right now. Perhaps you’re moving or the gym you’re currently at doesn’t “feel right” (that’s a legit reason). Nevertheless, how do you find the right CrossFit gym for you?
1. Know your goals. Finding the right box will be so much easier if you know what you want. What are you goals as an athlete? What type of community are you looking for?
2. Search the CrossFit Affiliate Map.
3. Check out nearby affiliates’ websites. Research daily programming, coach bios, class times, and especially the “About Us” section.
4. Email your questions to that box. Do they offer specialty classes like Olympic weightlifting or a competitor’s class?
5. Drop in and pay that box a visit. Is recovery/mobility a part of the environment? What’s the culture like? Are there people there that could push you harder?
6. Stick with it for a while. Sometimes it takes some time to feel “at home” and “in a rhythm.”
7. Now celebrate. You’ve found a new home.