See You in Columbus, Rogue Nabs 15th Sanctioned Event
The Rogue Invitational was announced this morning as the 15th sanctioned event for the 2019 CrossFit Games season.
The Invitational will take place at Rogue HQ in Columbus, OH on May 18-19, 2019, and consist of 20 male and 20 female athletes, and 10 teams. The winner of each division will receive an invitation to the 2019 CrossFit Games.
“Invitees will include the Top 10 male and female finishers from the 2018 Reebok CrossFit Games, along with a select number of additional athletes from the top ranks of the sport,” according to Rogue’s website. “The final competition spots will be filled via an online qualifier. Details on the individual and team qualifying process will be released at a later date.”
Top 10 at the 2018 CrossFit Games:
- Mathew Fraser* | Tia-Clair Toomey*
- Patrick Vellner | Laura Horvath
- Lukas Hogberg | Katrin Davidsdottir*
- Brent Fikowski | Kara Saunders
- BK Gudmundsson | Annie Thorisdottir*
- Noah Ohlsen | Kari Pearce
- Cole Sager* | Kristin Holte
- Rasmus Andersen | Brooke Wells
- Willy Georges | Kristi Eramo
- Cody Anderson | Cassidy Lance-Mcwherter
*Denotes a Rogue sponsored athlete.
Payouts and prize money
The winner of the Invitational will take home $50,000 for individuals and $20,000 for teams, and event wins pay out $5,000 each.
Rogue Invitational’s prize purse is the second largest among sanctioned events, totaling more than $400,000. Dubai CrossFit Championship, which will dole out $616,000 in both the qualifier and championship events, tops the list.
“Every athlete that competes at the Rogue Invitational will take home a cash prize,” Rogue said.
Rogue and Dubai are also the only events so far which award prize money to every competitor.
The 2019 Games season, a packed schedule
Greg Glassman said on multiple occasions that there would be 16 sanctioned events for the 2019 season, but that remains to be seen.
Due to the truncated timeline of the 2019 season, it appears there isn’t much room for more events this season. The 2019 Open, from late February through March, removes five weekends from the competition calendar and May itself already has five events in five different countries. In all likelihood this is the final event for the 2019 season.
Here is the complete calendar for the 2019 CrossFit Games season as it currently stands. Here are the 15 sanctioned events:
- December 12 – 15, 2018: Dubai CrossFit Championship (Dubai, UAE)
- January 17 – 20, 2019: Wodapalooza CrossFit Festival (Miami, FL)
- January 25 – 27: The Australian CrossFit Championship (Queensland, Australia)
- January 31 – February 2, 2019: Fittest in Cape Town (Cape Town, South Africa)
- February 2019: CrossFit Strength in Depth (London, England)
- April 2019: Asia CrossFit Championship (China)
- April 12 – 14, 2019: Mid Atlantic CrossFit Challenge (Washington, D.C.)
- April 26 – 28, 2019: CrossFit Italian Showdown (Milan, Italy) — INDIVIDUAL ONLY
- May 2019: Brazil CrossFit Championship (São Paulo, Brazil)
- May 2019: Reykjavik CrossFit Championship (Reykjavik, Iceland)
- May 2019: CrossFit Lowlands Throwdown (Netherlands)
- May 17 – 19, 2019: Down Under CrossFit Championship (Wollongong, Australia)
- May 18 – 19, 2019: Rogue Invitational (Columbus, OH)
- June 2019: CrossFit French Throwdown (Paris, France)
- June 2019: CrossFit Granite Games (Location TBD)
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields