The 2020 CrossFit Games season continues to add members to it’s ranks, as three more sanctioned events were announced today. The trio includes events in two new countries and brings the total number to 28 events for the season.
CrossFit Inc. also announced that they will be the final events added to the 2020 season, and that the season schedule in its entirety will be announced on Saturday, June 1st on crossfit.com.
- CrossFit Founder’s Emissary Noor Greene: “Greg Glassman’s vision for the Sanctionals matches CrossFit’s core values: to create opportunities for others, not for ourselves. The Sanctionals model is another example of CrossFit expanding the total pie, and not cutting a larger slice for itself.”
The three new events are:
- CrossFit Mayhem Classic – January 11, Cookeville, TN: An individual only competition hosted at the home of 7-time CrossFit Games Champion (4 individual, 3 team) Rich Froning Jr. Athletes will qualify for the event via the 2020 CrossFit Games Open.
- Madrid CrossFit Championship – May 1-3, Madrid Spain: CrossFit competition returns to the former home of the Meridian Regional and CrossFit Invitational. The event is a revamp of the formerly named Meridian Championship, and will be owned and operated by Loud and Live Sports.
- Mayan CrossFit Classic – July 3-5, Mayan Riviera, Mexico: The 2020 Sanctional season will close with the Mayan CrossFit Classic as the last chance for athletes to earn an invite to the Games. In addition to a variety of other divisions, the top teams in Latin America will have a chance to compete for the “Latin American Cup.” Along with the Madrid CrossFit Championship, the event will also be owned and operated by Loud and Live Sports.
- These are the final Sanctionals for the 2019-2020 CrossFit Games season. The final calendar will be released on June 1, 2019.
- The CrossFit Mayhem Classic will be the only event that we’re aware of to not feature a team competition. The CrossFit Italian Showdown did not have one in 2019 but will be adding a team division for next season.
- Loud and Live Sports now owns and operates four events for next season, which includes the Wodapalooza CrossFit Festival and the West Coast Classic.
- President of Loud and Live Sports Matt O’keefe: “The spanish and latin american culture is a big part of the loud and live culture. Through our involvement in music and entertainment in Spain and Latin America, we saw an opportunity to bring something similar to what we’ve built in Miami, and what we’re building in California to those markets for those communities, which is very culturally sound expressions with a large community component with access for the local communities.”
- The Sanctionals season alone, will now span over 7 months and 227 days. It’s longer than the entirety of the NFL and MLB seasons, and just 3 days shorter than the entire NBA season.
- Official CrossFit Sanctioned Events will now take place in 21 different countries across the globe in 2020.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
The past 24 hours have witnessed a massive movement from within the CrossFit community, as athletes, brands and local…