In an announcement posted to Instagram early this morning, three more European Sanctionals have decided to use the 2019-2020 CrossFit Open as their qualifier, bringing the total to six Sanctionals.
- Newly added: Reykjavik CrossFit Championship, CrossFit Strength in Depth, and CrossFit French Throwdown.
- The other three: Norwegian CrossFit Championship, Down Under CrossFit Championship, and Brazil CrossFit Championship.
- Here’s the full 2019-2020 Sanctionals season calendar.
The backdrop: The decision whether to join the International Online Qualifier or some other means was discussed at a Sanctionals-confab during the French Throwdown last month, where nearly all European Sanctionals organizers attended.
- Filthy150 in Dublin is using the International Online Qualifier.
- Madrid CrossFit Championship is expected to join that coalition.
- CrossFit Italian Showdown has their own unique, 1500 athlete in-person qualification system.
- CrossFit German Throwdown is still TBD.
The big picture: This season, the Down Under CrossFit Championship was the only event out of fifteen to us the Open as a qualifier. With two weeks left until the Games, we now have six of the 28 – more than 20% – confirmed events for the 2020 Games season using the worldwide open. The announcement also came with all four events included together, which is another move towards a more unified front from Sanctionals working together to iron out best practices amongst themselves.