Froning Hints at New Mayhem Teammate
This weekend, while competing at the BCS Classic competition in College Station, TX, Rich Froning said that the athlete replacing Dre Strohm will be an individual competitor from the 2019 CrossFit Games, according to an athlete who attended the event.
Context: Dre Strohm, who is engaged, is leaving the team after one year, forcing another replacement for the legacy championship team.
The shortlist: We’ve been hearing for the last couple weeks that Scott Panchik is slated to replace Strohm on the fittest team on earth. Panchik, narrowly missed the podium in his 8th consecutive trip to the Games.
- Mr. Consistency over the past eight seasons: 4th, 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 4th and 4th.
- His average 5.75 place finish is the lowest of any athlete who’s never stood on the podium, among athletes with more than one Games appearance.
The big picture: If Panchik is the fourth and final member of Mayhem, the four-time champions will emerge an even stronger team. Despite a new season format that allows for super teams, it will be very difficult for any team in the current field to pose a serious threat to Mayhem.
- Mayhem’s 2019 performance shattered all major team Games records.
- They earned the greatest percentage of team points possible all-time at 91.0%.
- Greatest team points-margin of victory all-time at 198.
- Won the most Games events all-time with 21 (five at CFG19).
- Won the first two events of the Games which had never been done by a team at the Games.
- “2019 CrossFit Games Stats and Records Takeaways”
- Panchik v. Fraser Squat Clean Battle
- “The “Fittest 4” not the “4 Fittest”. Why the year of the “SuperTeam” was irrelevant.”
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields