We saw it first at the Brazil CrossFit Championship, now the Torian Pro in Australia has capped off an exciting weekend of competition with a thrilling elimination final. While the event wasn’t a winner takes all — the sprint-cut-style event offered spectators (and athletes) a blink and you’ll miss it, edge-your-seat experience.
How it played out:
- The workout: 30 Rx Smart Gear drag rope double-unders and 6 OHS at 200/135 pounds (90/60kg).
- The last two competitors to cross the finish line would be eliminated.
- This would be repeated until only two athletes remained on the floor, four rounds.
- Take a look.
The highlight: The male ProPairs competition was a weekend-long duel between the combo of Rich Froning and Royce Dunne against nine times Games competitor Rob Forte and Jay Crouch.
The final event of the weekend was no different, with Froning taking the win by an inch.
Former Games athlete Brandon Swan capped off a dominant performance throughout the weekend to take out the men’s Elite division; likewise with the female ProPairs combo of Chyna Cho and Tasia Percevecz.
What the athletes had to say:
- Chyna Cho: “It was very nerve-racking but I mean even for us as athletes and the crowd it’s probably the most exciting thing to watch it’s like a speed ladder.”
- Rob Forte: “It’s heaps of fun to be a part of but it’s so nerve-racking having that elimination, two teams going every round.”
For the record: Other than the CrossFit Invitational in 2017, the Torian Pro is arguably the first time Australian fans have seen such a high caliber of CrossFit athletes including champions Tia-Clair Toomey and Rich Froning, all competing down under.
While a 30 thousand dollars (AUD) prize purse was dished out across the divisions, the real winners were fans particularly those on Friday Night who watched the 20.5 showdown between Tia Clair Toomey and Kara Saunders.
The livestream: CrossFit Torian made a big effort to produce a quality live broadcast of the weekend enlisting the likes of Games commentators Rory McKernan and Kikki Dickson for hosting duties.
- By the numbers, 22 thousand people tuned in for the Friday Night Lights 20.5 showdown and numbers dwindled to 14 and 16 thousand on Saturday and Sunday respectively.
The weekend wrap: Watch our highlights from the sideline here.
Elite Male Division:
- Brandon Swan
- Evan Morris
- Zeke Grove
Elite Female Division:
- Maddie Sturt
- Jessica Coughlan
- Lindsay Vaughan
- Royce ‘N’ Rich: Rich Froning & Royce Dunne
- Rob & Jay: Rob Forte & Jay Crouch
- Injustice OldAF: Ryan Woodall & Caine Hayes
- Freedom Women: Chyna Cho & Tasia Percevecz.
- Yeah The Guoys: April Hering & Steph Ortiz
- 64Army M&Ms: Madeline Shelling & Marnie Sykes
- Why The Fittest on Earth Will Start Their Season at a Non-Sanctioned Event
- Torian Pro Maxes Out, Moves to Bigger Stadium
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.