CrossFit released the penalty list after completing the 20.3 video review on Tuesday, a day after the conclusion of the Open. The 23 athletes penalized were received only minor infractions but it still affected the overall leaderboard.
- 13 penalties were for “lack of extension in deadlifts.”
- 7 penalties for a false start.
- 2 penalties for “failure to meet range-of-motion standards in handstand push-up.”
Not on the list: Jacob Heppner, after he did the handstand push-ups on his knuckles.
One big thing: Lefteris Theofanidis received only a minor penalty for “failure to meet range-of-motion standards in handstand push-up.” His submission caused a stir after a video emerged of his measuring for the handstand push-ups. Our own Tommy Marquez reviewed the video and presented multiple red flags.
- A majority of online judges rejected the video, while 27% said the score “needs modification.”
- “Under Fire, Lefteris Theofanidis’ 20.3 Video Receives Backlash”
- “Jacob Heppner Fist Pumps His Way Through 20.3: Will He Get Away With It?”
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.