Day 1 is over. You can watch the archived video here. Please note, it will take several hours for the entire day to process and therefore only the final four hours is available immediately.
Lay of the land: The temperature in Naas is currently hovering around 43F/6C and rainy. It’s cold enough where you can see athletes’ breath in the warm-up area.
- Tomorrow’s forecast: Rain with a high of 48F/9C and a low of 43F/6C.
- There’s no guarantee that event 4 tomorrow morning will take place. The unbroken rope climb event is actually outside and kicks off at 2:30 PM PT.
The men’s leaderboard is wide open: Currently, six of the top seven males do not have qualifying positions.
Just minutes before he was set to walk out for event 2, Cedric Lapointe received another crushing blow this season as a major penalty was announced by CrossFit. The penalty for “consistent lack of depth in the pistols” sent him back 1 position out of a qualification spot; he’s currently in 28th. Adding to that, both Chandler Smith and Jonne Koski, who have unofficial qualifying spots, withdrew from the competition.
- Not yet qualified: Adrian Mundwiler (1), Justin Medeiros (2), Adrian Mundwiler, Will Moorad (3), Sean Sweeney (5), Drew Wayman (6), and Cedric Lapointe (7).
Dan Bailey has still got it: Bailey is back for his first competition since the Rogue Legends event last year. Today, he set three post-surgery snatch PRs , ending with a 120kg/264 pound snatch.
- There was a three-way tie for first in the snatch with Tim Paulson, Adrian Mundwiler and Will Moorad all hitting 135kg/297 pounds.
- Adrian Mundwiler (264)
- Justin Medeiros (250)
- Will Moorad (244)
- Tim Paulson (224)
- Sean Sweeney (220)
- Drew Wayman (192)
- Cedric Lapointe (180)
- Lukas Esslinger (180)
- Nick Mathew (172)
- Jake Berman (164)
Sigmundsdottir’s 95kg/209 pound snatch ties her competition best that she set at Strength in Depth last season. Her opening lift of 87kg/192 pounds would have been good enough for fifth. She failed her fourth attempt at 100kg/220 pounds.
“It was easy,” she said afterward. She’d initially thought about loading 97.5kg after the 95kg lift but felt good and decided to go for it.
Who’s in the running for the invite spot: We are only three events in so things are very early, but these are the athletes to watch: Steph Chung (3), Andrea Solberg (5), Emelie Lundberg (5), and Kelsey Kiel (8). Three events tomorrow and 300 points available.
- Keep your eyes on Andrea Solberg, the third fittest in Norway. The 23-year-old took first in event 1, 4th in event 2 and 17th in event 3. She is currently tied for fifth overall. There are at least two gymnastics heavy events remaining this weekend (unbroken rope climbs and toes-to-bar). Remember, you don’t have to win to get the invite.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir (270)
- Kristin Holte (258)
- Steph Chung (250)
- Emma McQuaid (228)
- Andrea Solberg (216)
- Emilie Lundberg (216)
- Simona Quintana Silva (176)
- Kelsey Kiel (170)
- Nicole Burke (154)
- Alexys Dtiole (152)
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.