When Sean Sweeney started competing as a CrossFit athlete eight years ago, he knew it wouldn’t be the easiest way to make a living, but it was the thing he loved most. Training to perform on the biggest stages makes being a professional CrossFit athlete incredibly difficult, finding the finances and sponsors to pay for travel, hotels, registration, equipment, and food makes it nearly impossible.
Training with a Twist: Starting on January 6, 2020, the man known affectionately as the “CrossFit Cowboy” will introduce his CrossFit training program, the “Cowboy Way.”
- His programming is unique in that it also doubles as a sponsor for the athletes that sign-up.
- The program sets aside 20% of the total income for members to use to pay for travel expenses to competitions, training equipment, educational courses and seminars, or anything that improves them as an athlete and their fitness endeavors.
“As an elite level CrossFit athlete for many years, I know how insanely hard it is to get sponsorship support and how expensive chasing this dream can be,” said Sweeney. “I wanted to create something new that would help support many more people, regardless of how many social media followers they have or how many competitions they won. I just want to give back to the community that has given so much to me.”
The details: Sweeney has created a full, competitive training program that is geared to athletes of all fitness abilities and levels.
- The cost is $25 per four-week block and the program provides workouts and training techniques that each member receives daily on their own Wodify account. This allows each athlete to be able to enter results, track progress and compete with fellow athletes in the community if they so choose.
- The workouts and techniques are the same ones that the three-time CrossFit Games athlete has and continues to use to compete at the highest level.
- Not only is he doing the programming himself but he will offer videos that explain the focus of each training block and advice for athletes on what they should be seeing in their performance based on their ability.
“I created this programming for two reasons,” Sweeney said. “One, to give a clearly explained and drawn out fitness regimen that will help athletes progress safely and smartly whether you are brand new to the sport or an elite level athlete. Two, to give back to the community that has given me so much.”
Registration is available now. The first 50 members to sign-up will be entered to win a Rogue Echo bike picked by Sweeney right out of one of his cowboy hats.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.