Day 1 of the CrossFit Mayhem Classic was short on events but long on distance as 57 athletes took on the Cookeville, TN countryside in a grueling distance ruck run Friday morning. The single event resulted in two scores as athletes were introduced to the type of programming that Rich Froning and the CrossFit Mayhem athletes go through while training for the CrossFit Games.
The event: Scored in two parts, the five-mile trail run through the Froning property had athletes wearing a weighted GoRuck pack (30 pounds for men, 20 pounds for women) as they dealt with muddy trails and steep elevations. The first score was based on the athletes’ completion of the first mile and the second was determined by their overall time.
- Three-time defending Fittest Woman on Earth Tia-Clair Toomey stood atop the leaderboard after having the top score in both events.
- Canadian Brendan Willis leads the field on the men’s side thanks in part to having the fastest overall time and third fastest time in the first mile.
On tap for day 2: Three events for the athletes, two exhibition events for the Good Dudes.
- Schedule of events for your time zone.
Withdrawals: Brooke Haas, Cheryl Nasso and Leah Irons each withdrew from the competition.
The Overall Top 10 After Day 1
- Tia-Clair Toomey (200) | Brendan Willis (190)
- Kristi Eramo-O’Connell (185) | Drew Wayman (185)
- Amanda Hardeman (185) | Josh Miller (176)
- Alison Stall (165) | Kyle Bernier (170)
- Veera Koskelainen (161) | Luke Shafer (167)
- Selina Paupert (156) | Chandler Smith (152)
- Alexys D’Tiole (144) | Jeffrey Adler (144)
- Feeroozeh Saghafi (128) | Alexandre Caron (136)
- Bridget Erickson (122) | Cam Crockett (124)
- Danielle Brandon (121) | Austin Bolen (118)
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
April was “the hardest month of my life,” said 26-year-old Caryn Nienstadt, a nurse in Westchester, NY, and a…