A full day of fitness came to a close at the CrossFit Mayhem Classic on Saturday with two familiar names atop the leaderboard.
The wide-open men’s field saw changes to the top position after each event with Chandler Smith holding the honor heading into the final day of competition. Smith came into the day in sixth but strong finishes in the last two events propelled him into the top spot.
- The battle for the Games invitation looks to be a two-man race as Luke Schafer and Josh Miller sit in second and third respectively. Schafer, who has competed at the Games twice as a team athlete, is just 10 points off the lead and in the driver’s seat for the invite. Miller looks to repeat as a Games individual athlete and trails Schafer by 16 points.
- Will Moorad withdrew from competition for precautionary reasons after feeling discomfort in his back after finishing the first event of the day. Moorad has a full slate of Sanctional competitions on tap for the 2020 season including Strength in Depth in two weeks, then Wodapalooza and the Rogue Invitational.
Tia-Clair Toomey picked up two more event wins on Saturday to give her four in five events. She holds a 85 point lead over Kristi Eramo O’Connell.
Toomey talked to Morning Chalk Up about her love of competing.
- Danielle Brandon currently sits in the Games invitation spot in third place. However, she is projected to receive an Open backfill invite. If that happens, the race for the Mayhem Games invitation appears to be a four-women race between Feeroozeh Saghafi, Alison Stall, Amanda Hardeman and Rebecca Voigt Miller.
On tap for day 3: There are two events scheduled including an unreleased barbell workout, one exhibition event for the Good Dudes.
- Schedule of events for your time zone.
Withdrawals: Moorad wasn’t the only athlete to withdraw from competition as Paige Henry re-aggravated an ankle injury.
The Overall Top 10 After Day 1
- Tia-Clair Toomey (495) | Chandler Smith (398)
- Kristi Eramo-O’Connell (410) | Luke Schafer (388)
- Danielle Brandon (401) | Josh Miller (372)
- Feeroozeh Saghafi (359) | Alexandre Caron (341)
- Alison Stall (329) | Kyle Bernier (336)
- Amanda Hardeman (327) | Drew Wayman (325)
- Rebecca Voigt Miller (321) | Jeffrey Adler (300)
- Selina Paupert (304) | Ben Smith (297)
- Hayley Murillo (298) | Connor Duddy (277)
- Steph Chung (290) | Matt Hewett (265)
Niki Brazier recaps day 2 from Cookeville, Tennessee. Subscribe to the Morning Chalk Up YouTube Channel for updates, interviews and recaps.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
Many top CrossFit athletes have overcome incredible adversity to compete at the CrossFit Games. Since retiring…