West Coast, Iceland Postponements Bring CrossFit Total to Five
A second wave of Sanctionals today announced changes to their scheduled events. The West Coast Classic and Reykjavik CrossFit Championship both postponed their events amid growing pressure to downsize or cancel public events across the globe. These announcements bring the tally to five total events affected by the coronavirus and the second straight day of significant scheduling changes.
- Late last night, California Governor Gavin Newsom called for all non-essential gatherings of 250 or more to be canceled: “Changing our actions for a short period of time will save the life of one or more people you know,” said Governor Newsom.
What they’re saying: “With our community in mind, we have made the decision to postpone the West Coast CrossFit Classic. We are disappointed for our athletes, volunteers, fans and partners, as the state of California has banned mass gatherings of more than 250 through the end of March,” said West Coast Classic.
- Reykjavik CrossFit Championship co-director Frederik Aegidius cited “the prevailing uncertainty caused by the coronavirus” for the decision to postpone the event. It will be postponed to June 5-7.
- Both events will honor previously sold tickets for the later dates and all competitor fees are still valid.
Elsewhere: Sporting events across the country are quickly closing down. The NBA and MLS have suspended their seasons and the NCAA March Madness tournament is still going forward but without fans in the stands. This is only a small sample of the sports events taking measures to protect the health of athletes and fans.
Status Update: Upcoming Events Through April. We will update when we have more information.
- March 13-15: CrossFit Atlas Games — Postponed, Date TBD
- March 20-22: West Coast Classic — Postponed, Date TBD
- March 28-29: CrossFit German Throwdown — Postponed, Date TBD
- April 3-5: Reykjavik CrossFit Championship — Postponed to June 5-7
- April 8-11: ELFIT CrossFit Championship — Postponed to June.
- April 17-19: Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Championship — Planned as scheduled
- April 24-26: CrossFit Italian Showdown — Postponed, Date TBD
- “Amid Lockdown Italy Changes Sanctional to Online Only, Invites to Remain”
- “CrossFit German Throwdown Postponed Due to Coronavirus”
- “Asia CrossFit Championship Postponed”
*This story has been updated to reflect the news that ELFIT and Atlas Games postponed.