Rogue Invitational Cancels Teams and Legends Events
In a move that wasn’t a matter of “if” but “when,” the Rogue Invitational sent an email out to confirmed athletes in the Team and Legends divisions, informing them that they were canceling those events.
The bottom line: The email stated that “due to logistical and technical challenges that come with the online competition” and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, event organizers decided to cancel the competition for both of those groups.
- With social distancing restrictions, gym closures, the amount and type of equipment needed to hold an online team competition, the cards were definitely stacked against those athletes.
- The writing was on the wall nearly a month ago when the Rogue Invitational announced that their competition would be held online.
- Last May, the Rogue Invitational hosted a stacked field of some of the top teams from the 2018 Games and 2019 Sanctional season in their inaugural year.
- This season, teams included the two-time defending CrossFit Games team champion Mayhem Freedom, 2019 podium finisher CrossFit Invictus, OC3 Black, the Central Beasts, Team Don’t Stop, Pro1 Montreal, Team JST Compete and Team Prepared.
- Last year Rogue introduced the Legends division, which featured past Games champions and pioneers of the sport, allowing those athletes a chance to compete in front of a large crowd once again. Due to its popularity amongst those athletes and fans it was brought back and this year’s field included past Games champions Kris Clever, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, Tanya Wagner, Graham Holmberg and Mikko Salo.
- Other confirmed Legends included Christy Adkins, Margaux Alvarez, Julie Foucher-Urcuyo, Annie Sakamoto, Stacie Tovar, Becca Voigt, Dan Bailey, Josh Bridges, Matt Chan, Josh Everett, Tommy Hackenbruck and Chris Spealler.
- In an email to athletes competing in the individual competition, Rogue is still working out the final details and logistics to throw the online competition on June13-14.
- Rogue also stated in the email that they were working on bringing those divisions and the competition back to Columbus, OH in 2021.