CanWest Postpones, Rogue Invitational Moves to Online Competition, Nixes Invite
The CanWest CrossFit Championship announced its postponement while the Rogue Invitational made a tough decision to remove itself from the Sanctional schedule altogether due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On Tuesday afternoon, CanWest posted on its Instagram account that it would postpone its competition to a later date still to be determined.
One big thing: With Rogue moving their competition online they will lose their Games invite. CrossFit Inc. made that clear when they told the Italian Showdown that online competitions wouldn’t be allowed to give invites to winners.
Where things stand: The CanWest announcement brings the total number of Sanctionals now postponed to 13. It joins the Madrid CrossFit Championship, Lowlands Throwdown, West Coast Classic, Italian Showdown, ELFIT CrossFit Championship and Atlas Games as Sanctionals who have yet to select dates for their competition.
- The Rogue Invitational, who announced the postponement and rescheduling of their event to June 13-14 a week ago, will switch to an online competition.
- The Rogue Invitational is the first Sanctional to switch to an online competition format. The Italian Showdown originally announced that it would do an online competition, but quickly changed the decision after CrossFit HQ said doing so would cause them to forfeit their Games invitations.
- The format for the Rogue Invitational is still being worked on but all athletes will do the required workouts at their respective locations and will be streamed for fans to watch.
- Confirmed athletes for the event have been contacted regarding the changes but no other details have been given to them regarding the competition format.
- The prize money will remain the same which should keep all the all-star roster of athletes in place.
- No information has been provided regarding the team or the Legends divisions. Regardless if there is a team online competition, they will not receive an invite to the Games. Currently, there are only 16 team invites left for the 2020 Games.
- All tickets purchased will be automatically refunded.
Next up: The Granite Games, currently scheduled for June 12-14 will be the next Sanctional.