CrossFit Closures Hold Steady While First Box Reopens in Denmark
CrossFit Aros in Aarhus, Denmark became the first known affiliate to re-open this past weekend as the country began re-opening parts of the country last week. The Nordic country experienced 422 deaths, less than half that of Georgia, who began re-opening parts of their economy last Friday.
The Danish gym hosted 8-person, 45-minute classes on Saturday for the first time since all gyms were ordered closed, with social distancing practices and equipment being cleaned between sessions.
- CrossFit Aros via Google Translate: “It is with great enthusiasm that we can tell you that we have finally received written permission from the authorities to open up training again. First training will be Saturday, April 25.”
One big thing: While the sign is encouraging, global closures still remain extremely high — 88.99% globally and 96% in the United States where a little less than half of all gyms are located. Due to the myriad regulatory restrictions affiliates will have to face across the world, opening again is going to be a long and drawn-out process that could take months; a lesson that Georgia affiliates learned last Friday.
The big picture: The re-opening situation is very fluid as Georgia affiliates preparing to open learned. Last Friday, Governor Kemp issued an unfortunate setback to affiliates when further guidance was issued to gyms outlining 16 additional measures specifically for gyms.
- The big one: “Halting the provision of group classes.”
- Gyms we’ve heard from plan to push back re-opening while outlining new open gym hours to allow athletes to still workout.
Staying on top of this: States are beginning to consider easing up restrictions in accordance with Phase One of the President’s re-opening plan. Here are three other states taking steps to re-open:
- Colorado will now allow personal training but gyms are still closed.
- Oklahoma gyms can begin reopening May 1 if they follow social distancing and sanitation protocols.
- Idaho is expected to allow phase one reopening in early May and currently includes gyms.