The Dubai CrossFit Championship has long been one of the premier events in large part to its huge prize purses. After announcing the cancelation of its annual event this past Saturday, organizers decided to throw an online competition with a total of $46,000 in prize money spread across eight divisions.
The bottom line: The DCC2020 Online Challenge is a three week, three workout, minimal equipment online competition with men’s and women’s divisions for individuals, masters and teens.
- For the individuals, the overall winner of both the men’s and women’s divisions will receive $10,000.
- There are two Master’s divisions, one for men and women 40-49 years of age and another for 50 and above. Winners in each of the divisions will receive $5,000.
- The teen division will cater to boys and girls 18 years of age and younger. The winners of those divisions will receive $3,000.
- The competition starts on May 15 with the release of the first workout and athletes will have till May 22 to complete it. Workout two will be released on May 23 and end on May 30. The final workout will be released on May 31 and ends on June 6.
- Registration for the online competition is currently open on Competition Corner.
- Originally the DCC had planned an online qualifier for its December Sanctional competition to take place in June.
A new trend? The Rogue Invitational was the first Sanctional to switch to an online competition due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In doing so, they forfeited their 2020 CrossFit Games invitations, however they announced they would keep the prize purse of over $250,000 for the individual athletes invited to compete. With the DCC now jumping into the online competition landscape, could other Sanctionals follow suit? Online competitions could be a chance for some organizers to recoup some of the financial losses they have experienced while keeping interest alive in their events.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
Joshua McGee, a flight nurse of 20 years and a coach at CrossFit Parable in Chantilly, VA has spent the last two…
The Reykjavik CrossFit Championship alerted athletes via Instagram on Monday, that its SAnctioned event was officially…