Davidsdottir to Castro on Hardest Event Ever: “I hope you mean it”
Two days ago, CrossFit’s Director of Sport Dave Castro revealed his plans for the final event of the 2020 CrossFit Games with a cryptic Instagram post featuring the Greek huntress Atalanta.
- “The final event for the 2020 CrossFit Games will be the most difficult final of any Games, if not the most difficult event to date,” said Castro in his post.
- He also included a picture of huntress Atalanta who is most famously known in Greek mythology for offering her hand in marriage to anyone who could outrun her and spearing those who lost to her.
The most difficult events so far: During Thursday’s press conference, each athlete weighed in on the most difficult events they’ve experienced in their Games careers to this point.
- “When we went to Microwave Mountain in 2012,” said Katrin Davidsdottir, referring to the 2012 Games events that took place on the Camp Pendleton Marine Base. Though she admits that she was “definitely a different athlete” at the time and felt she was “not prepared for the Games” that year.
- “The hardest event for me was the ruck run last year,” Kari Pearce said for her most challenging thus far, adding that monostructural work can be difficult for her.
- For Mat Fraser, it was the 560 pound pig flip and the his 32nd place finish which cost him the gold medal in 2015 and was one of the worst events he’d experienced. He also added that the marathon row sucked as well in 2018.
One big thing: While Dave has been known in the past to be a big talker, the athletes are hoping that his Instagram announcement isn’t just all talk.
- “Dave, I hope you mean it,” said Davidsdottir when asked about Dave’s promise to give the athlete’s their most difficult event yet.
- “Dave likes to talk everything up so we’ll see,” added Kari Pearce.
The bottom line: Though Dave has been known in the past to hype the difficulty of his events, with just five top competitors on the field and no time caps, it seems that this might just be the perfect storm for Dave to create the ultimate final workout. Many have attempted to predict workouts from Dave’s cryptic Instagram posts in the past. However, it seems as though we will just have to wait until Sunday to see once and for all if Dave can really put these athletes to the ultimate test.